[.net] SlimTune Profiler 0.2.1 Released!

Started by
3 comments, last by benryves 14 years, 2 months ago
I've been working on an open source profiler called SlimTune, and the newest version is now available. Download SlimTune Profiler at Google Code The new version sports a retooled UI and lots of improvements all over the place. Some of the major features:
  • Live Profiling - Why should you have to wait until your program has ended to see results? SlimTune reports results almost immediately, while your code is still running. See your bottlenecks in real-time, not after the fact.
  • Remote Profiling - Other tools must be run on the same machine as the application being profiled, which can be inconvenient and worse, can interfere with the results. Remote profiling is an integral part of SlimTune.
  • On-Demand Profiling - Just because your code's running doesn't mean you want the profiler interfering. SlimTune lets you profile exactly when and where you need it, so you can focus on the results you need instead of filtering uninteresting data.
  • SQL Database Storage - Instead of developing a custom, opaque file format, we use well known SQL database formats for our results files. That means you don't have to rely on SlimTune to be able to read your files.
  • Multiple Visualizations - Most performance tools offer a single preset view of your data. Don't like it, or want it sliced differently? Tough. With SlimTune, multiple visualizers ship out of the box to show you what you want to see, the way you want to see it.
  • Plugin Support - We're doing our best to produce the most useful visualizations, but that doesn't mean your needs are the same as everyone else. A few dozen lines of standard SQL and C# code are all it takes to drop in your own view of the performance data, focused on what YOU want to see.
And yes, I know the writing is a bit cheesy, but product pages usually are. SlimTune was started because the .NET profilers out there suck, or are expensive. I thought there should be a good, open source product out there to support all the developers who are doing real work, but can't necessarily spend hundreds of dollars per seat for licensing. The more people using SlimTune, the better the feedback will be and the better the thing will get. Please help spread the word, and if you're using SlimTune for something cool, let me know!
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement
It's not often a forum posts get me to click on a link , but this one does even thought i'm in the middle of putting software in production lol! If the end product is akin to what you describe then thanks in advance for it very much!
I've been curious to ask whether SlimTune supports XNA games deployed on the Xbox, as its well known that performance characteristics of the Xbox don't really fall in line with the PC.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I'm afraid not. The built-in CLR backend relies on the CLR Profiling API, which is a native code framework. Needless to say, this facility is not at all available on the Xbox, Compact Framework devices, or on other 'weird' execution environments like Windows Azure. Sad but true.

If I stumble on a way to make it work, it'll be the first thing I do.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Very nice work - the previous versions have helped me greatly, and the new UI makes it quite a bit more intuitive to use.

I may need to stop nesting namespaces so deeply, however. [smile]

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement