If you could get permission to remake a game, what would it be?

Started by
51 comments, last by misi 14 years ago
Quote:Original post by Hodgman
If I got funding along with the permission; System Shock 2! It's scary enough with 90's style low-poly 3D. With current-gen graphics it could be scary as hell.

Funny you mention this, I'm replaying it right now. Aside from Doom it's the only game that's ever had the power to make me jump, and I'll be damned if it still doesn't have that power even to this day.

I'd put a vote in for the Starflights and Star Controls. Rather than first person perspective, I'd like to see an orbit cam that handled combat and exploration in 3 dimensions.

There are a lot of the old SSI goldbox games that would be nice to see again, not to mention true to spirit Ultimas.

--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
you know that Jurassic park game you were talking of? Was it for the PS2 as well and allowed you to build your own park? Because I would personally love to do a remake of that with a short of FPS mode as well!

Oh and also I would love to do a Age of Empires remake with far more units, bigger and more realistic terrains, far more realistic everything. Oh and you can control a lot of new features, like land allotments for your serfs and taxes etc... :)

Game Development Tutorials - My new site that tries to teach LWJGL 3.0 and OpenGL to anyone willing to learn a little.

System Shock and System Shock 2. Followed by System Shock 3.
Quote:Original post by daveodonoghue
Does anyone else thinks this topic really only applies to memorable RPG/Adventure games?

I can't think of a single FPS, RTS or Racing game that applies... I mean, it's really only the characters you aren't allowed to copy, game mechanics and plot can be "stolen".

I always wondered where the exact line is. Can I make an online monopoly game..change all the names and not cross the line?

My choice for remake would be Archon/Archon 2
Dungeon Master, and Syndicate. Those stole literally months of my life in the late 80s and early 90s.
Oh, and of course Leisure Suit Larry and Monkey Island...
It'd have to be Shadow of the Colossus. I love the concept and the visual style, but the actual implementation is borderline broken in my eyes. The controls are terrible and unresponsive and the framerate is generally poor and ocassionally drops to shocking. Plus the camera is decidedly wonky and a lot of the actual design (like the landscape layout and the landscape itself) is frequently bland or ill-thought out.

It's a game I really want to love, but it's just horribly flawed. A proper remake on a modern platform with those flaws fixed and in lovely HD would be awesome.
Quote:Original post by Nypyren
X-Com

Ive got a good and a bad news for you...

Good: Theyre (2K) making a new xcom game!
Bad: They feel the need to re-invent and re-imagine it... as a FPS.
X-Com, Magic Carpet, Wing Commander and FreeSpace 3, in that order. (Although the latter wouldn't be a remake).

[OpenTK: C# OpenGL 4.4, OpenGL ES 3.0 and OpenAL 1.1. Now with Linux/KMS support!]

Quote:Original post by emforce
you know that Jurassic park game you were talking of? Was it for the PS2 as well and allowed you to build your own park? Because I would personally love to do a remake of that with a short of FPS mode as well!

No. You might be thinking of Dinopark Tycoon. I'm thinking of this game. And Trespasser

I really do need to find a copy of System Shock 2 and try it out. Deus Ex nearly blew my mind, and from all the positive things I've heard about System Shock 2, it was just as good.
Quote:Original post by Andrew Russell
I'd love to see a Deus Ex remake

Hell yes. I certainly wouldn't do the remake, regardless of permission or funding, because it would probably be an incredibly boring thing to do. But I'd absolutely love to play DX1 on a modern engine. Maybe with some additional side quests, some new weapons and mods, but sticking to the original storyline.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement