Dress code in the game industry?

Started by
7 comments, last by dmatter 13 years, 10 months ago
hello, I'm just wondering what a dress code is like in the game industry. I'm about the finish a course for animation and making the demo reel right now. I have a tattoo on my neck (not big just says "Honor Life") and also i have dreadlocks. Would this affect me in a interview bad or good? but it is an art and design job so it is not like all suits and whatnot. I'm just wondering about this, sorry if this is in the wrong spot did not know where else to put it.
Advertisement
No it will not reflect on you poorly and in fact may help you, showing the interviewer that you are an imaginative individual.

Just make sure that you demonstrate that you know what you are doing (and aren't a slacker)

But no, i've worked with plenty of people with tatoos and/or dreadlocks.

I was working at midway games (before they went bankrupt) on a huge budget open world game, and one fellow programmer had a blue mohawk and tons of peircings.

nobody cared, all was fine :P

so yeah, relax, you are fine, it's a creative industry and people expect that kind of thing (:
I have a producer covered in tatoos (full sleeves) and people have had dreads.
Appearance doesn't really matter as long as you've got basic hygene covered ;)
+1 what Hodgeman said. Basic hygiene and clothes that aren't ripped to shreds and dirty.

While working at Virgin Interactive I had a guy turn up for an interview in a suit once. (I was in Jeans and Jumper as it was cold). As we left the interview I mentioned that our dress code was pretty relaxed just as another chap wandered by also in jeans/jumper. I pointed him out to the interviewee as he was the Chairman of the Virgin Communications Group (and Branson's Brother in Law).
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
I think times are changing everywhere to be honest - I work for the government on some pretty high profile projects and there are people who sit next to me in vests and shorts. Dont get me wrong there are some very traditional people who believe everyone should be in shirts and tie but they have been overruled by our HR dept. The belief is if your comfortable in work you will perform better - I agree with that completely.

Another thing you may find funny. I had drawn up my tattoo when I was in uni but I could never afford to get it done until I started work. I thought I would test the water and show my boss my design before getting it done - he thought it was so fantastic that he even came and watched me have it done.
Am I supposed to be wearing clothes?
Quote:Original post by Dave
Am I supposed to be wearing clothes?
So that's why I never heard back...
Pretty much everyone sat around me right now is in jeans (I'm the exception in that I dislike jeans so I've got joggin bottoms on instead) and a t-shirt of some description (gamer types, fashionable ones or in my casea vision of death on a boat with some bodies on it *chuckles*) and trainers.

The one thing I will say is that when you get an interview it is worth checking up on what they might expect you to wear during it. I had a prep phone call yesterday for an interview at Sony London and I brought this up and while the dress code there is relaxed it was advised that it might reflect better on me if I am wearing shoes/trousers/shirt for it. (Jeans and a t-shirt might have worked but I really don't like them)

I'm waiting on a follow up to that however as I might be able to get away with my normal appearance [grin]
I'd say smart-casual is a minimum for an interview even if the environment is pretty relaxed about dress code once you're employed, just shows you care a little about getting the job. On the other hand, if it is a casually dressed place then you probably don't want to go in suited up the max either; they do need to get the impression that you'll fit in.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement