Game Programmer - studio

Started by
0 comments, last by Palidine 13 years, 6 months ago
Hi Friends,

Presently, I am working as a Game Programmer. Looking for an opportunity in a good company, today i got a call from 'Varnaa studio'(www.varnaa.com) in Chennai,India.

As it is a studio, is it advisable to give a try.. in that case on what subjects the technical round would be?

I have sound knowledge in c++ and directX.

Thanks,
aras
Advertisement
My 5 second google suggests that they are an outsourcing company. But also it looks like they don't do games.

Anyway, outsourcing means they take contracts from other companies (usually US companies) and do specific work for them. Outsourcing generally means zero creative work: you (the outsourcing company) do exactly what we (the US game developer) tells you to do; we do all the design and creative work locally, you get zero input. It's basically factory production of code or game assets. If that sounds interesting to you then you should pursue it.

Otherwise, the way you evaluate a company is easy. This is how I approach it (probably a very privileged american approach) : do they make games that I enjoy? Is the work culture something I would enjoy? Is the location somewhere that I want to live? Do they pay well?

I don't actually care about pay very much compared to the other questions, I include it since it does factor in to a point. But generally games pays 30-40% less than other comparable tech jobs and you have to work longer hours. If money was a primary concern in my life I wouldn't be in games [smile]

If you already enjoy your current job as a game programmer you should only leave if Varnaa offers you something you prefer over your current situation.

-me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement