Easiest genre game to make?

Started by
25 comments, last by JonathanO'Brien 13 years ago
I think the hardest part of programming a game is structuring the code in such a manner that it remains healthy and maintainable. Beyond that it's a question of scale, but unless you're obsessed with making the next Codblops or WoW (and for God's sake DON'T try to make these. Not because they're difficult, but because the world doesn't NEED any more of them) then a lot of the same underlying skills apply.
Advertisement

I think the hardest part of programming a game is structuring the code in such a manner that it remains healthy and maintainable. Beyond that it's a question of scale, but unless you're obsessed with making the next Codblops or WoW (and for God's sake DON'T try to make these. Not because they're difficult, but because the world doesn't NEED any more of them) then a lot of the same underlying skills apply.

True, it's a flow. Some idiots here suggest starting off with snake games...lol. Those don't necessarily require the programmer's universal definition of an "engine" or "game engine", but they are still difficult and require logic that would easily take more than 4 days(four days of learning C++ from the start) to get a full grasp on.

I would be amazed Godly if someone could make a fully functioning and playable snake game in a console window in 4 days like some psycho person said before was possible(sure, possible, but 99% unlikely).

TRUTH BEING, the easiest game you can make is on a console window(or any text-based windows that can run C++ code)and that game would be a guessing game.

The logic behind it is highly easy. Now THAT is a game one can make in around 4-8 days, possibly(talking 4-8 of LEARNING C++ programming for the first time). Definitely more likely than some 350 line code snake game. :P

We are talking beginners here, right(I am a beginner)? :)
Making a console version of Nibbles would be a pain because you'd have to learn some implementation of curses. Writing it in like SFML or SDL would be a lot easier.
Hm, an interesting question that I've never really thought of before.

It's very hard to say definitively, because genres are rather loosely defined. Black Ops is a big, big game that took big, big bucks to make and, I'm sure, was very challenging. However, you could make an indie FPS of much smaller scale, with less graphical complexity, and have an easier time of it.

However, I would have to throw in my chips with MMO's being the hardest, simply because ANY genre can become an MMO by adding MMO part to it. MMOFPS? Sure! MMORTS? Why not? MMO Cinematic Platformer? Could probably be done! It's simply taking another genre then slathering on a healthy layer of extremely robust multiplayer and persistence.

As for the easiest...hmmmmmmm....

That's harder to answer. Simple puzzle games, perhaps?
Hi/Lo Game!!!
Hi/Lo!!!
Hi/Lo!!!

"I am thinking of a number between 1 - 100. Guess the number?"

"Higher!" / "Lower!" / "That's right! Well done!"

(And I think that was the first game I ever programmed. The first dozen or so games I made were all variants from TV Game Shows.)

Agree!!!happy.gif
The thing that makes replicating the big games unattainable to the majority of us coders is the graphics. Once you strip away the prettiness, the underlying concepts are pretty much the same as any game from the same genre of the past 10 years. If it wasn't for the big names spending all their time constantly trying to out do each other with the best looking graphics that push your system to breaking point, they might be able to come up with some innovation and interesting game mechanics. Luckily we have the independent game makers to make games that are actually more than just eye candy.

That said, I cringe every time I hear someone say they're making a Minecraft clone. Minecraft is good, but why do we want 300 copies of it? Make something new! :)
[size="2"]Currently working on an open world survival RPG - For info check out my Development blog:[size="2"] ByteWrangler

A minimal set of rules; for example, a game i made, and it worked fairly well, had only two rules: if two things are colliding, they're both dead, and you get a number of points every second you survive. It should have a minimal number of screens, preferably one.

Erm, I know this is totally off topic, but I'm incredibly new to this - you don't happen to still have the source code for that? I'm having issues with collisions causing events, is all, and I'd be interested in knowing how to do it.

-A1P4A 0M3GA
Lead script writer on Scutum [http://www.gamedev.n...-entertainment/]
Team Member of [size=2]Forcas Entertainment
Amateur programmer with C++ and SDL knowledge
Game Enthusiast

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement