Puzzle game idea - Feedbacks, please

Started by
2 comments, last by LorenzoGatti 12 years, 9 months ago
Hi everyone. First time poster, glad to be a part of the community.

I'm currently writing a puzzle game for a contest. I've fleshed out a rather rough idea for it and am looking for feedbacks.

I'd love for general feedbacks, but more importantly I'd like to know what works and what doesn't. What to add and also, since the showcase will be on a public space, what can I do to the game to attract more people. Thanks.

<game title still undecided>
2011, Yuuta Wibawa

The game is played on an NxM grid map. The player place elements(fire, water, wood, metal, earth) on the grid to create buildings. You can only place one randomly selected elements at a time.

Buildings are divided into two categories, power plants and residentials. Placing trees next to trees generate a house, placing fire next to tree generates coal; and coal next to coal generates coal power plant, etc. Theres a few combination of power plants with different effects.

Building residentials increase birth rate(and in turn increases population) and culture point. High culture reduces birth rate.

However you need a certain amount of power plants to support the population and failing to do so is detrimental to the culture point(and in increases birth rate, increases population, increases energy consumption, etc)

So the object of the game is to increase energy, population, culture while also balancing them.

That's it and thank you for reading.
Advertisement
What is the goal? Will you simply play until you can't advance any more?
It seems kind of contradictory when you say "Building residentials increases birth rate (and in turn increases population) and culture point. High culture reduces birth rate"...so you get more birth rate and then you lose it? Unless the culture point is different than the plain culture in some way?

[twitter]Casey_Hardman[/twitter]

As I read this, I became more and more confused. Please start by stating what is the goal of the game and how the player may achieve it...

I'm pretty certain you are missing the wind element. Unless you did that on purpose.

I can't see any hook in this game, there basically is nothing to drive the player into playing. The game is really missing the goal here -- and a high score, at our current age, isn't much of a reward. At least not everyone who would be your audience, that is puzzle solvers, appreciates leaderboards.

Also, it sounds kind of tetris-like? You are given a random object, go make sense with it? Again, this isn't a good design as it is lacking purpose. As I understood it, there is no time limit as well -- absolutelly nothing to keep the player even wanting to go...
Disclaimer: Each my post is intended as an attempt of helping and/or brining some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone, unless stated otherwise

Homepage (Under Construction)

Check my profile for funny D&D/WH FRP quotes :)
The dual time dimension is an obvious problem: the succession of pieces and the time the player takes to evaluate and place them isn't related to the implicit city simulation that, presumably, advances the "real time" in which population increases, culture improves, etc. Maybe the simulation could advance by a predetermined amount whenever you modify the city with a new piece.

Regarding altering things on the grid by placing pieces in adjacent cells:
  • What if there are multiple possible combinations? For example, when you place wood between a fire and a wood, do you get coal or houses? And in which cell or cells?
  • What if the player wants a raw element, not a combination with adjacent cells? For example, to build an house in a certain place one could place wood first, then another wood; but if the first wood combines away, building the house is impossible.
  • How can space be reclaimed? In a normal city, growth transforms industrial buildings (here, power plants) into residential and commercial buildings. SimCity has a pretty bulldozer, what can be done in your game?
  • Strategy depends on the detailed interactions of elements and building types. You should post the complete rules for review.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement