League of Legends

Started by
22 comments, last by Tom Sloper 12 years, 4 months ago

How can you tell its for "graphical design" can you explain? i'm not familiar..

Graphic design: think about drawing and make pretty stuff
Graphics programming: highly technical, involves writing a lot of code

These 2 are almost polar opposites. You really don't want to mix them up :)

But first of all, you need to get started with programming right now. Okay, you may finish your drink first, but that's it, get started!
Any language or technology will do, as long as you're coding something. C# or PHP are common entry points into the world of programming. Hell, I got started with scripting mIRC. Switching between languages gets easier and faster as you get more experienced anyways.
Programming is something you will have to teach yourself. Schools will try to help you along this path, but it'll still be up to you to actually learn it.
The biggest part of learning programming is just doing it. Don't want until the start of a school year. Don't use any other excuse on why you should start tomorrow instead of today.
Just doing the school's coursework won't get you into the industry. Doing side projects and expanding your knowledge on your own will.

There's a second very important factor that means you really must get started right now.
You're not sure yet if you'll actually enjoy programming. You can't know until you've had quite a bit of practice under your belt.
Making games sounds like a dream to many people, but just as many forget it's also just a job. A job with upsides and downsides.
Some people can't wrap their mind around the concept of programming or simply can't find a single shred of joy in doing it.
Keep in mind you might end up working on a My Little Pony Barbie Adventure game when just breaking into the industry.

It's very important you find out right now you'll actually enjoy this career path, before you get invested and enroll at a university.
Worry about how to get the job later. Walk before you run :)

Once you have some programming experience under your belt, you'll also find making the right choice regarding which course to enroll in will make a lot more sense.
Remco van Oosterhout, game programmer.
My posts are my own and don't reflect the opinion of my employer.
Advertisement
Graphic designer:
graphic-designer.jpg

Graphics programmer:
4-computer-programmer.jpg
Thanks, appreciate it guys. How about Python? Is that good to start with?

Thanks, appreciate it guys. How about Python? Is that good to start with?

New, please go on the For Beginners forum, and read the forum FAQs there.
This thread is closed.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement