Advice for going into the gaming industry

Started by
8 comments, last by Azgur 12 years, 2 months ago
I would love to work in the gaming industry, impartially the modelling side of game creation. although i am very poor at drawing and wondered if this is a necessary skill for getting a job in this area of game design?
Advertisement
Your questions (and many others related to them) are answered in the Breaking In Forum FAQs.
What i have done is that i did some looking around on various gaming development websites and went to job opensings and looked at what they require in terms of knowledge and skill - they usually state how many years and what programs they require you to have knowledge for.

Drawing is a handy skill to have for doing modelling for games - but in most cases they have already someone doing that job and you usually end up working from their drawings to make your own. But in some cases, smaller development companies dont have all required employees so having a mixed skill set is always a plus.

In terms of getting into the industry, practice what you love doing, in your case modelling and depending on how old you are, look at school courses that relate to what you want to do. Then after, look at uni courses to get the related certificates and knowledge from there. It always helps having all that sorted.

In some cases you might get lucky and get away from just pure skill and not actually going to school for your actual skillset but sometimes employers dont look at you if you dont have the right qualifications.

Some companies have internships that let you study and work with them and a possible job opening might be there after you finish.

Just research and look around, read as much as you can and most importantly, have fun!
My dream is to setup a dev team, but I don't have the money at the moment. Maybe in the future. I think you have to contact the very new teams that probably can accept newbies in the industry. This is what I'll do when I'll setup my dream team. Unfortunately, veteran companies want veteran artists or programmers only.
Electronic, Hard House, Film Music

88 preview tracks to listen to online + artist forums

And my projects Vanethian, and X-tivity Factor

My dream is to setup a dev team, but I don't have the money at the moment. Maybe in the future.

Money is the least of your issues here. Managing a dev team requires a lot of experience in the industry.

Unfortunately, veteran companies want veteran artists or programmers only.

This is not true. Plenty of companies hire people without previous work experience.
They do of course require you to be familiar enough with the profession to be productive employee.

[s]You probably want to head over to the 'Getting Started' forum.[/s]
Remco van Oosterhout, game programmer.
My posts are my own and don't reflect the opinion of my employer.

You probably want to head over to the 'Getting Started' forum.

The what now?
Which person do you mean, and which forum do you mean?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

[quote name='Azgur' timestamp='1327854809' post='4907358']

The what now?
[/quote]

nah, probably he just had a bad sleep this night, let's forgive him.
Electronic, Hard House, Film Music

88 preview tracks to listen to online + artist forums

And my projects Vanethian, and X-tivity Factor

[quote name='Azgur' timestamp='1327854809' post='4907358']

The what now?
[/quote]
Right, I probably should read a bit better.
Kinda looked like the generic post in this forum smile.png
I wrongly interpreted it as "I can't find a job because they hire only veterans".

And meant the 'for beginners' board. Mixed that up as well.
This is not going to be my day :)
And meant the 'for beginners' board.

The OP (

dbibb1328

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]

) said he was interested in modeling. I'm not so sure the For Beginners board is the right place. Maybe Visual Arts.[/font]

Edit: doncha love how the new forum messes up anything copied and pasted?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

[quote name='Azgur' timestamp='1327858565' post='4907378']And meant the 'for beginners' board.

The OP (

dbibb1328

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif]) said he was interested in modeling. I'm not so sure the For Beginners board is the right place. Maybe Visual Arts.[/font]

Edit: doncha love how the new forum messes up anything copied and pasted?
[/quote]
That was part of my mistake, I wasn't replying to OP.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement