Creative Writing For Games, Level/Quest Design, Area/Map Design

Started by
5 comments, last by Dragonfly3 12 years, 2 months ago
Hello, my name is Josh, I am a devoted freelance game developer with experience in constructing large worlds with tight canons. I have worked on a few unannounced projects developing story lines for campaigns, quests, and lore. I have the most experience writing for science fiction games but I have also done some quest writing in an elaborate fantasy environment. I have also worked on the level and quest design portions of these games. If I am passionate about a game and its story I am capable of devoting a large amount of time to it. Currently I am in the design phase of my own 2D RPG game but I am free to take on a new project in my free time.

I hope to help developers, primarily indie, focus on nailing down the code for their projects without having to worry about the background lore, story, and level/quest design while they begin coding other game systems.

As of right now I have worked on two large projects, both unannounced, and my own side project, a 2D RPG game.

2D RPG Game - In my free time I have built a rich world set roughly 100 years in the future. Humanity has just begun reaching out into the solar system when a nuclear war devastates earth. The game is centered around the crew of a cargo ship that operates in the deep solar system, near Saturn and Jupiter. After hearing about the destruction of Earth the crew goes to earth and witness a dead planet, shrouded in nuclear ash and headed towards a nuclear winter. Over the course of the game Players must investigate and determine the real cause for the nuclear war. Explore various locations across the solar system, discover new technologies, fight for the future of the human race.

Unannounced Science Fiction Project - I did some basic story development for a friends game about a year ago that really got me into game design and creative writing for games. I started out by creating a fictional history of the technological advances of the next 400 years. It explained the course humanity took into the stars within this games canon as well as created basic ideas for some of the games weapons and armor. Then I began writing for the games Main quests and Side quests. I created about 25 of these quests, complete with NPCs, Rewards (Experience points, Items, and Currency), and follow up quests. I also drew a few maps for in game areas/zones.

Fantasy - Another friend of mine decided to attempt making games, I did some basic story stuff, mostly just lore. I also did a few quests for him with NPCs, Dialogue, and Rewards. This game is currently not in development, I might pick it up in a few months with some programmer buddies.

Even though i do not have the most experience making games i have been playing games my whole life. I play almost every big name RPG game and MMORPG game as they are released and know quite a bit about games and what makes games fun. Also, I have a tendency to fall in love with games like Mass Effect that have great stories and a great world to place them in. My favorite part of gaming is a great narrative that enhances game play by bring players into the game world and making them feel like a part of it. This is what I aim for when writing for games.

I am also trying to gain experience programming, however I have very little experience in this area and only know a little of Torque Script for use in with Torque products.

I look forward to creating rich fictional worlds and engaging stories for you to place your game in.

I know that I do not have the most experience in the games industry; this is why I don't expect much in terms of monetary compensation. If you are looking to pay someone hourly, I will charge in the range of $10-13 an hour depending on the work load. If you are looking to pay someone based on milestones then we should get together and discuss payment. If you are looking for someone who is willing to work for commissions / revenue sharing I am willing to work something out, in this case I would like to be a large part of the project and would be willing to work long hours to make the game the best it can be I am very flexible both payment and time wise and am willing to go out of my way to work with you.
Advertisement
Now if you weren't a freelance idea guy who charges money..I could use your talents. However, i wish you luck
if you know how to do any kind of 3D modeling or anything i want to collaborate with you.. i have a RPG game that will be original is has been waiting to be explored. there are no games like this one and will be a instant hit. ive been trying to find someone to help me with it and couldnt find anyone so far that know's much about game development. this game will be popular for the next 20 years. if your interested in it let me know.
check this out
I am already doing a volunteer project, and a revenue sharing project. I have a lot of freetime and am just getting experience in a bunch of areas.
Hey @Hotboxed I was wondering if you can just write a small story for my game. Basically a story about why there are a pixelated characters in an artsy world. I have wrote this so far:

Unofficial Story behind the game:

[color=#282828][font=georgia, serif]

~You are Pel, a pixel element.
~Something bad happens to you so you end up in an artsy parallel world called Mistveil.
~A pixel like you is unfamiliar with this non-pixilated world of Mistveil.
~You then find other pixel elements that are striving to survive like you are and you begin

[/font]

to fight with them for resourceful and beautiful land.

[/font]

~Battles break out between you and your pixel enemies for the property of Mistveil.
~You and your friends must battle for the land before there is none left.
~Go on! Find your friends, make a clan, and claim your land!

[/font]

Thanks[font="georgia, serif"][color="#282828"] for your help![/font]

(Still looking for volunteered members for the game I designed) Skype: chris.fracassi1

[/font]

Link to my game's details:

[/font]
http://www.gamedev.net/topic/619775-unique-2d-rts-game-join-the-development-team-share-ideas/
Game Designer and Creative at http://www.xstreamtech.co.uk/
PM sent

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement