Looking for a Professional microphone for recording Voice Overs

Started by
2 comments, last by MoritzPGKatz 12 years, 1 month ago
Hey there, I'm creating a MMORPG game, and It's doing pretty good but I've run into a dead end, the Voice overs. Yes, It's silly but any microphones I've ever used pick up too much background sound. I'm looking for an Industry standard Voice recording condenser microphone under $1000. And also, does anybody know if theres any soundproof studios for sound recording in Portland, OR that are for rent? I'm guessing it's mostly private studios for game companies.
Advertisement

Hey there, I'm creating a MMORPG game, and It's doing pretty good but I've run into a dead end, the Voice overs.
[/quote]

Do you have to record the VO yourself or are you (or the company) open to 3rd party VO actors providing the assets? Many pro VO actors have their own set ups where they can produce quiet VO assets. I'd check out http://www.voices123.com/ and other similar sites where you can audition potential actors and have them bid on your specific project.

Yes, It's silly but any microphones I've ever used pick up too much background sound.
[/quote]

Have you tried any audio clean up software? I use SoundSoap Pro and it works great. A helpful tip is to always leave some silence in between speaking so you can narrow in on the background noise alone, isolate it and use the program to remove those unwanted noises.

I'm looking for an Industry standard Voice recording condenser microphone under $1000.
[/quote]

Here's a pretty good list: http://www.nurple.co...icrophones.html

Of which only these models are below your $1,000 mark:
[size=1]Voice Talent RODE NT1-A Voice Over
R0DE_NT1-A_Voice_Talent_Microphone.png
RODE NT1-A Microphone
[size=2]A perfect first mic and a classic Voice Over Microphone. The RØDE NT1-A offers high quality voiceovers in the $200 price range. A no ring resonance and similar frequency response to other voice talent microphones. The Rode NT2-A and the Rode NTK are also excellent Voice Over microphones. Other Rode microphones we recommend for Voice Over Talent are Rode K2 Tube Microphone and the Rode Classic II Tube Microphone...another great first mic for a great price is the is the Marshall MXL 909 Condenser Microphone.
[color=#C0C0C0]street price [color=#C0C0C0]$199
[size=1]RODE
[size=1]Pickup Pattern: Cardioid
Frequency Response: 20Hz ~ 20kHz
Maximum SPL: 137 dB (@ 1% THD into 1kOhm) [size=1]Voice Overs Studio Projects C1 Microphone
Studio_Projects_C1_Microphone_Voice_Overs.png
[size=1]Studio Projects C1 Voice Overs [size=2]Studio Projects C1 a poor man's U87 ? well maybe?... NOT an exact replication of a U87..but comes close matching the bottom end and warm mids that the U87 has ... amazing clarity without the obnoxious highs... low self-noise and better spl handling than most mics. Crystal clear sheen..This mic kicks ass!!!
[color=#C0C0C0]Voice Over Actor [color=#FF9500] Don Capone Highly Recommends the Studio Projects C1 as a great choice as a professional voice over microphone.
[color=#C0C0C0]street price $249
[size=1]Studio Projects
[size=1]Large-Diaphragm Condenser
Low Cut Filter Yes
Max. SPL 142 dB SPL
Noise 17 dB-A

[size=1]Pressure-Gradient Transducer: 1.06" (27mm) 6um mylar diaphragm
High Pass Filter, 6dB/octave@ 75Hz or 150Hz
-10db or -20dB Pad [size=1]Voice Talent AKG C 414 Voice Over
AKGC_414_Microphone_Voice_Over.png
AKG C 414 Microphone
[size=2]A Voice Actors reference-quality microphone with Three switchable bass cut filters and three pre-attenuation pads with LEDs for quick visual indication. Smooth and sweet... also check out the AKG C 214 for about 599.00
[color=#C0C0C0]street price $899
[size=1]AKG
[size=1]Frequency Range: 20 Hz to 20 kHz
Polar Patterns: Cardioid, Hypercardioid, Omnidirectional, and Figure-8
Maximum SPL for 0.5% THD 140 dB (160 dB@-20 dB) at 1 kHz 134dB (154dB@-20dB) 30Hz-20kHz
Net/Shipping Weight: 11.3 oz. [size=1]Voice Talent Neumann TLM 103 Voice Over
Neumann_TLM_103_Voice_Talent_Microphone.png
Neumann TLM 103 Microphone
[size=2]Neumann TLM 103 WOW! Great for narration and just about anything else available at any price. Often compared to it's big brother the U87 and almost three times less money. The Neumann TLM 103 delivers. This baby is like Milk Chocolate and one of the quietest microphones available. The Neumann TLM103 makes any voice over actor sound great... also don't forget to check out the TLM's little brother the Neumann TLM 102 for less money and a great sound also.
[color=#C0C0C0]Visit Voice Over Artist Don Capone
[color=#FF9500]Don Capone Highly Recommends the Neumann TLM 103
[color=#C0C0C0]street price [color=#C0C0C0]$999
[size=1]Neumann
[size=1]Freq. Response 20Hz-20kHz
Kind Large Diaphragm Condenser
Max. SPL 138 dB
Notes Available in Black or Nickel
Polar Pattern Cardioid

And also, does anybody know if theres any soundproof studios for sound recording in Portland, OR that are for rent?
[/quote]

Perhaps not for rent but you could certainly hire the studio and the engineer to record in their studio. I'm not sure, I'm not located in OR. Try Google.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...+Portland%2C+OR

Being that it's Portland, I'm SURE there are tons of options since Portland has had a strong music industry presence for a long, long time. Also check out:

http://www.sweetwate...detail/VoxGuard

I'm guessing it's mostly private studios for game companies.
[/quote]

Just speaking from experience with studios local to Denver, CO - as long as you're not wasting their time and willing to pay their rates (or even close to their rates) most studios are more than happy to take your money and make their spaces and their services available to you!

Hope that helps,

Nate

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

I can strongly recommend the Zoom series of microphones. They are friendly to use and extremely good quality for their price, which ranges from 90 - 400 dollars.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B003QKBVYK

I first bought the Zoom H1 several years ago and I still use it for tons of things. The noise ratio is great even without a wind screen. It's only $90 and super easy to use. The sound quality is obviously not the best you can buy, but I can't tell the difference anyway. Here is a review, here is a recording which uses the zoom h1.
Hello,

I can strongly recommend the Zoom series of microphones. They are friendly to use and extremely good quality for their price, which ranges from 90 - 400 dollars.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B003QKBVYK

I first bought the Zoom H1 several years ago and I still use it for tons of things. The noise ratio is great even without a wind screen. It's only $90 and super easy to use. The sound quality is obviously not the best you can buy, but I can't tell the difference anyway. Here is a review, here is a recording which uses the zoom h1.

I have an H2, I use it for foley and ambiences - I agree, the Zoom products are great.
For voice-over work, I'd definitely recommend a big condenser mic like the ones suggested above, though!

Keep in mind that your recording quality is only as good as the weakest link in your recording chain. Using a Neumann U87 won't get you far if you're using a cheap preamp and try to mix it with laptop speakers afterwards.
On the other hand, you don't need the most expensive gear or even a real studio room if you have a good voice-over artist.
Relevant article: http://indiegames.co...dio_succes.html

Cheers,
Moritz

Check out my Music/Sound Design Reel on moritzpgkatz.de

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement