Help for a young programmer?

Started by
10 comments, last by Tom Sloper 11 years, 11 months ago

[quote name='Cdunn-1999' timestamp='1338240512' post='4944143']
Yes, but as I stated I want to be a computer scientist rather than a game developer. Theres a difference...A game developer is most likely in it because of his passion for videogames. A computer scientist makes more money and they rely on mathematics to solve a lot of problems in there code (varying on what they are developing). I too love game development, but in the future I want to do what is best for me and what I will make a good liveing on. Game developent would only be a hobby to me...more like a small learning expierence for me that I can have fun with....love your game btw. It's pretty fun.

huh.png
Why not do what both satisfies your passion and makes you the most money?

Firstly, the average game-programmer salary in 2010 was over $95,000, and has increased since then to close to $100,000 in 2012, making it completely competitive with the salaries of hardware engineers.
But the average game programmer is not R&D or mathematically inclined while the average hardware engineer is.

Game programmers who are mathematically inclined, logical, and able to solve technical problems via research, experimentation, and the average scientific process, are paid highest in the gaming industry within the R&D departments of their respective companies.
You know, the R&D department that makes all the game engines that all the average game programmers then use to make the games?

Just beating the average game-programmer salary via hardware engineering means becoming an elite “hardware design engineer”.
Congratulations. The same skills applied to software programming could have netted you nearly twice the income, plus made you happier along the way.

L. Spiro
[/quote]

Really? I didn't know that. I thought game developers weren't getting paid very much these days...especially since many game stores are closeing down. Blockbuster, Gamestop, etc. Also from what i've heard, game developers are getting paid less then they were before and a lot of game developers are getting fired or laid off. I may have gotten that info from something that was falsely stated though.
Advertisement

1. I thought game developers weren't getting paid very much these days...
2. especially since many game stores are closeing down. Blockbuster, Gamestop, etc.
3. Also from what i've heard, game developers are getting paid less then they were before
4. and a lot of game developers are getting fired or laid off.
5. I may have gotten that info from something that was falsely stated though.

1. See the 2011 game developers salary survey (google it).
2. What happens in stores has no impact on game developer salaries.
3. No idea where you heard that. See the salary survey.
4. True. But that does not mean that those who kept their jobs took a salary cut.
5. You probably just misinterpreted it.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement