Digipen: Is is worth it?

Started by
2 comments, last by swilkewitz 11 years, 5 months ago
I'm aware there was a topic recently about Digipen, but that was more a personal issue than a question about the school itself.
So, I've been looking into colleges for a while now and I've already thrown out the idea of Full Sail do to "scandalous" things I've heard about it. In leu of that I've decided on Digipen. I'm aware that it's very expensive, and student loans would be hard to deal with in an entry level development job, what I'm asking is about the credentials of the school and if it simply teaches everything that one would need to know in the business of game development.
Advertisement

Digipen: Is is worth it?

Have you read the FAQs?
"Game Development Schools" by Joseph Fernald
"On Game Schools" by Josh Petrie
"Regular College? Or Game College?"
The Whole Game School Thing, Part I
The Whole Game School Thing, Part II
"Is It Worth It?"

It's recommended reading! Also http://www.igda.org/games-game-august-2011 ("The High Cost of College")

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hello,

My name is Jackie and I am a Senior Admissions Outreach Coordinator at DigiPen Institute of Technology. I would be more than happy to speak with you about the opportunities at DigiPen. DigiPen is a 4 year, private college located in Redmond, WA. All of our degree programs focus around the video game industry, with each degree program specializing on a specific area of game design. While each different degree program offered at DigiPen is specifically designed to prepare students for a particular professional role, all have several key characteristics in common.

DigiPen offers degrees in computer engineering computer science, game design, digital art and animation, and sound design. For more information about each degree program, please head to our website: https://www.digipen....egree-programs/

DigiPen focuses on a project-based learning system. Each semester all students take a game or projects class where they apply the information and skills developed in other classes. Subject-specific classes also incorporate individual and team-based projects, so that students are continuously learning both the theory and its application. Student projects and games can be incorporated into a portfolio that demonstrates the student's abilities to potential employers. Many of the projects mimic team-oriented workplace environments and require the students to work collaboratively. The emphasis is on developing foundational skills and knowledge rather than on any particular software packages or tools. Coursework is integrated and cumulative. General education and elective courses are relevant and applicable. For example, undergraduate students may choose to take "Storytelling for Game Design" or "Journey of the Hero" to fulfill one of their English requirements.

DigiPen faculty come from a broad range of professional and educational backgrounds with experience in academia; game and animation industries; electrical and computer engineering; and the fine arts. Instructors provide mentorship and guidance by serving as academic advisors to DigiPen students; also small classes mean that faculty have the opportunity to provide individual attention to students. Our average class size is approximately 20 students with a 12:1 students to faculty ratio. They are passionate about the subjects they teach and how those subjects relate to the larger scope of DigiPen's degree programs. They maintain strong connections with the industry and seek out opportunities for students to get involved in professional conferences, seminars, and other events.

Our degree programs are evaluated on an annual basis by a curriculum advisory committee comprised of industry professionals and faculty to ensure rigor and relevance to the industry. Classes and coursework are supplemented by guest lectures given by members of interactive media industries. Seattle Sputnik, the local chapter of the International Game Developers Association (IGDA) holds its monthly meeting at DigiPen, providing an opportunity for students to interact and network with seasoned industry professionals and to keep current with industry news. Students have the opportunity to earn credit toward degree completion or to augment their studies by interning at a game company, animation studio, or other relevant business.

DigiPen Institute of Technology is authorized by the Washington Student Achievement Council and meets the requirements and minimum educational standards established for degree-granting institutions under the Degree-Granting Institutions Act. DigiPen Institute of Technology is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (“ACCSC”, or “the Commission”), a national accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education.

I hope this answers some of your questions about DigiPen and the type of education we offer. Please feel free to contact me directly at jbeehler@digipen.edu or 425-629-5041 if you have any more questions!

Best,
Jackie Beehler
What other schools are you considering? What area of game development do you plan on specializing in?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement