RPG + Fitness = Fitness RPG? Need advice

Started by
11 comments, last by Paul Franzen 11 years, 5 months ago
Agreeing with the cheating issue.

What I would recommend would be to make the RPG aspect as normal, make that a good game in and of itself, then have the fitness part give you bonus items.

I know with pokemon I used to have the yellow Pikachu pokewalker thing that gathered points from walking or playing a simple card game on the device. I'd rack up points (usually through the card game) then spend the points on Pokemon Gold to get special berries and items.

So I'd suggest that the fitness part of the game just be used to gather up some resource (maybe 'mana' or 'fighting spirit' or just 'fitness points') and then when you've gathered up enough of that you can spend them to give you hero temporary bonuses or consumable items. Like some sort of sacred fruit... magical fruits that are normally rare in-game but you can reliably get by using the fitness program. Said fruit should just provide temporary bonuses like increased strength, increased critical hits, health, revive allies, or maybe an increase in experience gain for a while.

Or maybe something like divine intervention? Just recently looked at how Nethack had its prayer system that let you call on your god to do things like restore your health or grant temporary invincibility or give you artifacts. Maybe the fitness program can help you boost your reputation with said deity even when not playing the game.

Basically, you play the game normally and through actions can gather some sort of reputation or morality resource that you can expend (either with gods intervening or civilians recognizing your deeds and helping you our or something) but you can gather it while not playing the game through the fitness program. So you can either gather it by say slaying a bunch of undead or saving people... or by using the pedometer feature while you're jogging (or driving a car or setting it on the washing machine).

Basically, I'd suggest making the RPG aspect great on its own, then have the fitness feature on the side and just allow you give bonuses to the player while they play the main game. Then see how it gets received and take the new info into account if you ever want to make a sequel to it.
Advertisement
It's an interesting prospect but you've got two different audiences here:

Those looking for a fun way to workout.

Those looking for a deep story to get into.

Those two groups wouldn't overlap much in my opinion, your marketing/game is going to have to heavily lean to one side. An rpg with fitness elements or a fitness game with rpg elements?

I understand that if this game comes to life, people will want to cheat to see what’s gonna happen next. But I don’t think many people will do it because it will take away the fun of playing this game. Even if they do, I think I should focus on the people who seriously enjoy this game and exercises that come with it, and create such a good game for them. So honor system for now.

That's sort of what I was thinking, too. I don't think it's up to you to make sure people aren't cheating. If they are, and as a result they don't have much fun with the game--I mean, whose fault is that? I'd hope that the sort of person who'd want to exercise by playing a videogame wouldn't then find a way to cheat the system; what's the point of that? Why play an exercise game if you're not going to exercise?

On a different note--have you heard of the iOS game Zombies, Run!?It's a game to play while running around outside. You put the iPhone in your pocket (or your armband, or whatever), and the game (through your headphones) has actors playing out a story about a zombie invasion. While running you pick up supplies that you can then distribute to your town, and periodically you have chase sequences where you have to maintain a certain speed, or else have your brains eaten. It's pretty neat (although I've had trouble getting it to work properly).

Also, let me know if you decide to move forward with this project! It sounds cool!

Life in the Dorms -- comedic point-and-click adventure game out now for Xbox Live Indie Games!

My portfolio: http://paulfranzen.wordpress.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement