In Linux

Started by
5 comments, last by Sik_the_hedgehog 11 years, 4 months ago
Hi everybody. I am developing some web projects with PHP, and some desktop applications with C++ and Phython. I wanna make some 3D applications. I need to use pyhsics (as realistic) because I will use it in my pyhsics lessons. I will model some experiments of laws of Newton. I'll work on a Linux(Debian Squeeze). I used to work with 3D GameStudio(Acknex) in the past, but now I must use Linux for that.

What do you think about what I'm need and what I'm use to? And where can I start to making that project? Thanks in advice.
Advertisement
I'm not all as familiar with linux as I used to be, so I might not be the best person to answer this. But you should probably go the OpenGL route. Here's their getting started guide, and there is also a binding for python if you'd prefer to do that. I'm not aware of many game engines that run on Linux per se, but since you probably want to code your own physics it might be better to write it all from the ground up. That's a lot to learn though, so it might just be better to use Wine and see if you can find something that would work with that.

I think blender game engine is a better choice in Linux.

The Blender engine is rarely used for making games, suggesting that there are some issues (distributing your game to others is probably the biggest issue). I would suggest avoiding it.

I only ever need to develop in C and C++ on Linux, but Python is also a popular choice for some reason. So I recommend these languages along with OpenGL.
http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

Might I suggest, if you're familiar with python, that you start with the pygame package -- you can use OpenGL, there are physics add-ins, and it's widely and well supported, particularly on Debian.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

Ogre3D is also a nice framework, removes weeks of work compared to pure OpenGL and runs nicely on Debian.

I hear lots of good things about pygame but haven't used it myself, might be worth a look.

The Blender engine is rarely used for making games, suggesting that there are some issues (distributing your game to others is probably the biggest issue). I would suggest avoiding it.

Licensing issues aside, I'd imagine the biggest issue would be that Blender really wasn't meant for making entire games on it for starters, so it's going to be quite unoptimal if you try to push it.

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement