Kinect type games

Started by
3 comments, last by lmbarns 10 years, 11 months ago

I brought home an Asus xtionpro live sensor from work which appears to be a kinect knockoff. So far I just made it so if you throw overhead you throw a fireball forward.

Obviously sports games like kicking a soccer ball/field goal, swinging at a pitch, throwing something, etc as well as carnival type games work well.

My gf actually had a good idea of sitting in a chair and riding a mechanical bull in game...lol You would just sit facing the same direction but the camera would spin around in game and you'd have to lean to stay on the center point or something lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YEStCgApADc

Pretty neat though, what other games do you think would work well with this type of sensor?

For trade shows and promotional stuff it would make a good product to attract people to your booth and you could have it be a contest...

Just brainstorming still...

Advertisement

My gf actually had a good idea of sitting in a chair and riding a mechanical bull in game...lol

Keeper.

My thinking is mostly that the key to making Kinect work is analog control. Most of the big developers are going with gesture recognition, so you either did something or you didn't. (MS talk on Kinect I went to was almost all about that.) Don't like that. You have a lot more data than just doing something or not, so make use of it.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Thx I was just using unity and adding triggers/colliders to different parts of the body and tagging each accordingly. So say hands, elbows, shoulders, hips, knees, feet. Then I added a trigger above the model's head so if your hand hits it a fireball is created and the collider on the hand hits the sphere/fireball in a forward direction.

Then when you tap your elbows together you could activate/trigger something(new weapon, new spell, etc), or if you touch a trigger on your hip. I could add an actual sword you touch to child it to your hand or something. Or if you touch your hands together in front of you it can shoot something forward out of them. Just by hitting different triggers rather than gestures, and it's a lot easier hehe. Plus you could make it so you have to touch your hands together twice or 3x to trigger something, or activate some sequence of touching triggers or something.

2 player is kinda dangerous, lol, I smacked my hand on numerous things when trying to toss fireballs.

It's pretty sweet that it builds an exe you can simply plug into a laptop or something connected to your tv and skip the console. It's an asus knockoff of the kinect.

edit:: Whipped up a little skeleton punching game, could make it spawn harder monsters as you proceed or something. It just spawns a new skeleton when you kill one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Sox0thaDGNg

I want a cat simulator, where you are walking around as a cat (using your front arms) and can jump on mice and other things.

I got the kinect working in web browser builds of unity using a plugin called zigfu....pretty neat...

Now to make a kinect game portal site.....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement