Stick with C++ or venture into C#?

Started by
19 comments, last by Aspirer 10 years, 7 months ago

Now, my question is for the purposes of starting off on developing games, would I be better served by sticking with C++, something I know more about and is considered the "omnipotent" language by most, or switch to C#, something more modern, less touchy, etc.?

A language is a language is a language. Pop quiz, once you learn a C# or C++ which graphics library are you going to use? What platforms are you writing for? No programming langauge in the world writes code itself. Regardless of which langauge you use, it's not going to make up for sloppy code. In your case, I wouldn't be tinkering with either. You're probably better off using a game engine such as unity.

1)If I stick with C++ for the time being, I'll choose a simple graphics library to learn in order to leap into graphical programming, culminating with DX.

2)As I said before, Windows is my current platform, with an eventual goal being mobile platforms.

3)I believe they call the people who write code, "programmers," right?

4)Sloppy code has never been an issue. As I also mentioned above (I'm assuming you didn't read much before you commented?) I've used C++ numerous times (console and basic win32 apps) and have taken C# courses.

5)If I wanted "Unity" as a suggestion, I would have asked about game engines, rather than about C# vs. C++.

Now, if you're done with your sarcasm, I'll stop mine...

My question was directed at someone, anyone, with sense to give their opinion on whether learning a second language would be a smarter, more productive start to game development, or stick with what I know and am experienced in. You, my friend, don't meet the prerequisites for commenting. Thank you for your time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement