Good game with pale programmers

Started by
7 comments, last by Krohm 10 years, 7 months ago

Several times, on the net, I saw some impressive games, then the chief programmers, who looks pale, like a zombie or vampire :)

So is there any practical way to protect programmers from the display? Does a projector help?

In fact I am waiting for big screen oled /eink that refreshes fast / mirasol.

Maybe two screens, one for editing one for testing.

Advertisement

Just let the programmers bake in the sun for a few hours every week and they'll be fine, a microwave oven might also work.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Dang nabbit, my dual wide screens are my main source of vitamin D!

tongue.png

I keep a big jug of water at my desk so I can photosynthesize as I work. It's only when I need one of those energy drinks during crunch time that I start to get pale. I think the caffeine interferes with the way the radiation from the monitors gets absorbed or something. It wasn't as much a problem when we all had those big CRT screens. Radiation from those got absorbed just fine no matter how much caffeine I needed to get through the day.

Just to provide a bit of a more serious answer in case you weren't joking, you don't need to "protect the programmers from the display". It isn't the light/radiation/whatever from their monitors that's resulting in them looking pale, but a simple lack of sunlight. A project, oled monitor, etc. will also make no difference what-so-ever.

It's commonly recommended to take regular short breaks from programming -- even if you stay inside -- to avoid problems such as cramping, carpel tunnel, DVT, eye-strain (this is a real problem that can be caused by staring at monitors too long!), etc. To stay at your peak productivity whilst maintaining good health you should ensure you're drinking enough water, have a reasonably healthy diet, and get some exercise each day. You should also make sure your work area is set up correctly to avoid straining.

- Jason Astle-Adams

What jbadam's said - it's not the monitor, it's the environment (basements, rooms with shades pulled down, etc...) and the lack of sunlight.

In addition to what jbadam's mentioned about exercise, it's also a good practice to, even while sitting down, stretch your wrists/back/arms, etc... A few simple stretches can easily become second-nature that you do subconsciously when you stop to think about your code.

I've taken on the habit of taking an hour long walk halfway through my day to get some movement and soak in some sunlight. Sometimes in mad crunch times it's the only chance I have to get out of the house haha :p

Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...

I saw this talk a while back which suggests that lack of sunlight is bad for your health for more reasons than just lack of vitamin D (blood pressure, heart health, etc.). I would suggest, that if possible, you open the blinds and let some UV into the office.

No... glare is not just uncomfortable, it is problematic. Don't mix UV with indoor. Lighting is serious stuff and should - in theory - be designed.

Just find a way to reserve some time outside. Drinking your coffee outdoor is a good start, albeit insufficient.

Previously "Krohm"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement