Probability question

Started by
10 comments, last by jms bc 10 years, 5 months ago

It's just high school maths, nothing too advanced, but any book about probability should go over the basics. Permutations and combinations using factorials and binomial coefficients (which are the rows of Pascal's triangle) is basic combinatorics stuff, which should be covered in high school maths too, although it's a long time since I was at school ;)

EDIT: Rolling small numbers of dice - it isn't too hard to enumerate all the possibilities or draw a diagram (like AngleWyrm did); rolling 2 dice results in a 2D array and 3 dice results in a 3D lattice of possible outcomes. In my reply about when the order is unimportant I basically enumerated all the possibilities and added up the probabilities of them all to get 1 (i.e. every possibility covered, since the events were disjoint) in order to check that my reasoning was correct.

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
Advertisement

Decent starting point is to internet search with "marble urn probability" and you'll find a lot of material that pertains.

The Four Horsemen of Happiness have left.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement