Making basic games yourself with C++

Started by
24 comments, last by dimescion 10 years, 1 month ago

Hawkblood, Thank you for the reply, I'm sorry I didn't see it for so long. I assumed everyone who would comment probably already had and didn't look any further. What you say about it being somewhat easier to create a graphical representation sounds very interesting. I was thinking of something that looked like zelda, but when you got into combat it would turn into a 1vs1 tactical turnbased system where you choose your stance, type of attack, and responses to enemy attacks. At this moment I'm just getting into Object Oriented Programming in Python and I'm so lost I don't even know what questions to ask, LOL. Great tip for random generation BTW. I played an online version of ROGUE as a kid. I'll occasionally spend a few weeks playing one rogue-like or another. I have put C++ on the back burner for what's likely going to be a very long time.

SunDog, I've chosen python as of a few weeks ago. You're right, C++ is overly complicated and unnecessarily hard to learn for what I want to do. I don't think I know enough yet to understand what you've said about blocks/graph vs grid. I'll take your word for it. What you've said about programming in certain behavior, and randomization is all very interesting. I'm chomping at the bit already! :)

Advertisement

If you are looking to make a game with something more simple than C++, then have a look at DarkBasic:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_read&i=1

It's basically happy.png a basic engine that can be almost as powerful as a C++ designed game. It uses DirectX9.0c and is fairly simple to use.

Here is a link to a forum post of mine that illustrates the first game I made using DarkBasic:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=166885&b=5

The actual game is VERY simple. It's a 2.5D game that uses lights, normal mapping (.fx), and sounds. You can even download the game (use the [download] button on the right of the SECOND post). Here is a quick video also:

[media]http:

[/media]

Hawkblood, I should have mentioned that I'm learning python right now. I don't want want to switch until I feel like I've given my all, so far it has been pretty interesting. "For" statements and object oriented programming are still kind of hazy to me but I'm making steady progress. Thanks anyway though, the game you made seemed pretty interesting.

It was just a suggestion.... If you are already using python, then you should stick with it at least for a while. Start programming and when you get to a point you don't understand, post the problem and I (or someone) can help you.

Hawkblood, I should have mentioned that I'm learning python right now. I don't want want to switch until I feel like I've given my all, so far it has been pretty interesting. "For" statements and object oriented programming are still kind of hazy to me but I'm making steady progress. Thanks anyway though, the game you made seemed pretty interesting.

Let us know what part of OOP is giving you a hard time and we can help. If you let the problems slide and go to the further chapters, it's going to bite you eventually.

Warnexus, thanks, I'll ask as soon as I understand enough to formulate an actual question. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement