Am I suitable for a Game Design Profession?

Started by
10 comments, last by supesfan 10 years, 1 month ago
As a follow up to "not yet suitable", go take a look at major job boards like gamasutra and look at job requirements.

Usually at least 3 years of industry experience in some other jobs, plus at least 1 shipped title, that is for a lower-level designer. Game designer is NOT an entry level position.

Usually at least a bachelors degree. This stems from the fact that you must have 3 years of industry experience doing other things, and those require the degree to break in.

Usually a strong background in game design. You will be expected to know about designs for most of the landmark games. You will be expected to have studied (not just played) hundreds of games. You will be expected to know what makes them fun, and why. Also you will be expected to know what makes them non-fun, and why. You will be expected to come up with the rules that make worlds, not just know the basics. As such, people who are avid table-game players, such as D&D and similar games or card games like Magic The Gathering or Pokemon, tend to be common in design. You must know all the inner details of games and be able to communicate the rules to others so they can be built.

One semeseter in art school and one year in programming school is not enough.

You mention $100,000 in student debt in the US. With a degree in theology, well, that is understandable. Google pulls up articles like "13 standup schools that cost less than $5,000". A search on the cost of schools finds low cost schools like the University of Wyoming for $4404 per year combined tuition and fees. There are many inexpensive 4-year schools out there that provide traditional degrees in computer science and in art or animation. The median cost of schools is under 10,000 per year, so if made a list of all the schools teaching the degree and picked one at random, you have a better than 50% chance of picking a program costing less than half of the debt you are speaking of. If you make a guided decision rather than random, you can be under 1/5 of that cost. Hopefully you didn't accrue all that debt and still leave the school without a degree, and were talking about a hypothetical $100,000 if you had hypothetically chosen that overpriced private school.

At age 24 you have plenty of time to finish off earning a degree in a game-related field. Theology is not a game related field. Not just programming or art, but even writing and music are game related fields. The most reliable entry paths are programming (you better enjoy code), modeling (hope you like architecture) and animation (hope you have patience). You mentioned ADD. That is only a problem if you let it be one. When I see the acronym "ADD" I usually hear it muttered as an excuse. Game development is HARD. You will be expected to WORK. It just happens that many people find it to be a fun job, but it is a job nonetheless.
Advertisement
Well said frob...I need to buckle down and work harder. Thanks for the motivation. I'll set some goals too. Anyways, I'm pretty tired of formal schooling so I plan on teaching myself through books, tutorials and other people. I have learned a lot so far just by reading books and practicing. So that is what I plan on doing. I'll start building my portfolio as well. I already have some goodies to put in there. Thanks again for the advice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement