No Low Level Programming is better ?, Please explain this then ?

Started by
25 comments, last by the incredible smoker 10 years, 1 month ago

Hi all, i thought my topic was removed by Sony itself or some moderator,

until i looked at my Gamedev score, it was very low all the sudden, then i realized my topic was still there somewhere.

Thanks for all the answers, i do my best to reply :

My head hurts...

I am sorry to sound so rude.

You are thinking like a smart consumer now. If you want to ask something, make it shorter so a simple minded developer like me can understand.

Yes, i am a gamer who also programs games, instead of being a game-programmer who does not play games.

Thank you Ravyne for your big explaination.

Hi,

Low level coding optimizations are years from being a concern of yours. After 1-3 years of making single player and multiplayer 2D games, then maybe you will be ready but perhaps you will never need to use low level coding optimizations. Using an existing game engine is a far more efficient use of your hard work instead of recreating the wheel by authoring your own low level coding.

Hi, i,m busy for ten years now ( looking at my old software in my signature ), and my game engine already exists, altho it is very basic.

When they dropped PS2 compatibility in the PS3, they claimed it was to save money, but some believe it was because the PS2 was still selling and PS3s playing those games was hurting the sales they could make on the PS2.

They had excuses like : HD aspect.

Cant they make some pixxels black i ask myself then ?, oh well i didnt believe it then either.

At least someone who might agree with me, thank you.

btw : i,m not talking about Xbox because i Always buy Playstation.

low level optimalisations are bad.

no offence but you should go back to school or start over.

That is what they told me that its bad in some other topic : i cant find it anymore now, i say it is good because i have an old PC.

Anyways : i Always got kicked out of school as a kid, i,m past 30 now, programming is something i learned myself.

By the way : i,m still playing PS1 games on my PS2, since i dont need a PS1 then, verry handy.

greetings

S T O P C R I M E !

Visual Pro 2005 C++ DX9 Cubase VST 3.70 Working on : LevelContainer class & LevelEditor

Advertisement

3Ddreamer, on 10 Mar 2014 - 8:46 PM, said:
Hi,
Low level coding optimizations are years from being a concern of yours. After 1-3 years of making single player and multiplayer 2D games, then maybe you will be ready but perhaps you will never need to use low level coding optimizations. Using an existing game engine is a far more efficient use of your hard work instead of recreating the wheel by authoring your own low level coding.

Hi, i,m busy for ten years now ( looking at my old software in my signature ), and my game engine already exists, altho it is very basic.

That is why you are busy for TEN years now and still stuck on "very basic."

People need to do a bit more research, such as here at gamedev, to avoid spending those extra years and thousands of hours of labor with inferior results.

Read my signature.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

No professional programmer, let alone game developer, would say that all low level programming / optimizations are bad.

But experienced professionals will tell you that things similar to the saying "premature optimization is the root of all evil" ...

The gist of most professionals opinions is that you should not focus on specific target or performance concerns too early in the life cycle. Partially because there is no point in optimizing a program or feature that may not make the cut into a final product anyway. Partially because by the time the product comes out, the exact appropriate optimization might change. Partially because clean logical code is easier to understand and modify, and you want to be able to change and improve as much as possible while learning what is fun and what isn't. And Finally because it is often true that developer time is more important than efficiency in many cases and they'd rather make 3 games that are fun and for sale, then 2 highly optimized games that are just as fun and just as for sale.

Also, don't confuse "premature optimization" with "building for a platform". An example of the type of optimization that would be discouraged is "oh man I have a great idea for how to make this highly detailed crafting system for this fantasy MMORPG i'm working on ... but I don't know which data structure or algorithm is the most efficient implementation". An example of the type of platform utilization that is NOT bad would be "oh man, since this game is for phones and tablets I have a great idea for how we can leverage the gyroscope to control the crafting system in a unique and cool way". See the difference is, in the first case, someone has a great idea and is letting the low level aspects reduce their ability to deliver a functional feature. In the second case, the developer is being inspired to create a more enjoyable or fresh experience in harmony with the target platform characteristics.

Hi,

Though - I am not sure if such (at least some ground) low lewel knowledge can be skipped just to write 'normal' code even if you

do not use them you should be aware what is okay and what is

not. It seems for me that most people saying you do not need

a low lewel knowledge know it anyways ;/

3Ddreamer, on 10 Mar 2014 - 8:46 PM, said:
Hi,

That is why you are busy for TEN years now and still stuck on "very basic."

People need to do a bit more research, such as here at gamedev, to avoid spending those extra years and thousands of hours of labor with inferior results.

Read my signature.

Yeah very basic, i also used some code from some book so thats not good also.

I have nothing like shadow, water etc, i will have to do with whatever i have,

the reason why i am on gamedev : because i dont have 3DstudioMax, it to expensive for me, ( i dont wanto use hacks or cracks, but with this price, they are asking for it )

so i wanto trade exclusive music for your game for a old version of 3dmax, so i can make some spaceships myself,

instead of finding someone who makes spaceships for me, i have given up on that already.

And thank you, version control is indeed important.

S T O P C R I M E !

Visual Pro 2005 C++ DX9 Cubase VST 3.70 Working on : LevelContainer class & LevelEditor

Version control can keep a coder on track like nothing else.

About 3ds Max, in my opinion no game engine (hence game) should be limited to Max. The game developer should be focusing on the model and image file formats. To work on these, any decent 3D graphics software will do, even if you have to use another only for inport/export to the end format. Game engines usually allow several alternative graphics formats in the overall workflow pipeline as options because several 3D software can all handle the same industry standard formats.

More research needs to be done by you, focusing on finding a game engine that best fits both your goals and abilities. You will be amazed at how much more that you can accomplish if you focus on understanding and using a prescribed workflow pipeline of a game engine instead of trying to reinvent everything.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

the reason why i am on gamedev : because i dont have 3DstudioMax, it to expensive for me, ( i dont wanto use hacks or cracks, but with this price, they are asking for it )

Use blender...

http://www.blender.org/

Ok thanks, i looked at blender, but it looks very different, i will give it a try sooner or later this year, since it also exports .x files! hooray.

And no, 3DDreamer, i wont use someone elses engine, it cost very much time to invent some other persons engines wheel, i,m having trouble managing my own engine already,

i,m just blasting some spaceships in a 2D sidescroller, so i only need some/lots of spaceships to blow up.

Yes i am about oldskool gaming only.

S T O P C R I M E !

Some one at Sony must have been reading this, they want backward compatible in 1080p for PS1 & PS2 games, hooraay

S T O P C R I M E !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement