Need help with 2D puddle

Started by
6 comments, last by BradDaBug 9 years, 11 months ago

In my game kittens can dissolve into a puddle of goop, but I'm not happy with how the puddles look. You can see below.

I'm not sure what I can do to make them look better. How can I represent a puddle in this stylized way that matches the rest of the game on completely flat terrain? Any ideas?

[attachment=21819:puddle.jpg]

And here is the puddle texture:

[attachment=21820:puddle.png]

I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement

I'm not an artist, but maybe something like this?

[attachment=21821:goo.jpg]

I like that a bit better than what I have. Here is my attempt (The dark spots aren't part of the decal. That's a bit of green smoke left by a kitten before it dissolved):

[attachment=21825:puddle2.jpg]

But there's still something off about it. It could just be that it doesn't jibe with the blood. The blood is a little more realistic but the goop is very stylized.

I like the DARK layout!

....Maybe just recolor the blood to blue, then remove a bit of spatter? That way the style matches, and the amount of work put into the art assets is minimal.

I sort of like yours better, maybe because of the shape. I like the looks of your blood, not sure if you can make that look better in a stylized fashion. Btw, is this a circle or a sphere? You mentioned flat terrain, but I keep seeing this as a sphere.

It's flat circle.

Here is another attempt. I based it on the blood decal, so it fits a little better, but it doesn't really look like a puddle. It looks more like... I'm not sure. But I think I'm going in the right direction. I just wish I knew how to make it look more puddle-y. Should the interior be smoother? And making a green puddle contrast against the green grass is tricky.

[attachment=21846:puddle3.jpg]

I like the DARK layout!

What about a darker, tar like substance?

I darkened and smoothed it, and now I'm feeling a bit better about it. It's a big improvement over what I had. But it still doesn't look quite right. It looks like a dried wax seal rather than a puddle of goo. I think I'll try to smooth out the edges a bit to make it look more wet and gooey.

[attachment=21881:puddle4.jpg]

I like the DARK layout!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement