Arabic and bitmap font - does it work, does it NOT?!

Started by
0 comments, last by WitchLord 9 years, 7 months ago

Hi everyone,

I have a source English build that uses BMFont. From what I could find, it's very confusing if Arabic can be bitmapped or not. When I tried it using Tahoma or any Arabic font, I get garbage character. From what I can gather, let me explain why Arabic is the only language that has given me render issue. As you may know, Arabic uses glyphs, 2 characters next to eachother may display a different character; this is why bitmap doesn't work. Could anyone prove me wrong on my understanding? Does Arabic work with BMF? Please help!

Desparate,

DT

Advertisement

BMFont only translates Unicode glyphs from the TrueType font to the bitmap. This can be done for Arabic glyphs as well as any other. BMFont doesn't try to interpret what the glyphs mean, it is just vector graphics being rasterized into bitmaps.

The application that will draw the Arabic text using the generated bitmap font will have to have the logic to understand when to use one glyph instead of another when specific character sequences are found.

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement