A casual puzzle game about stained glass windows.

Started by
13 comments, last by SillyCow 9 years, 5 months ago

Perhaps a graphic representation, like a small pie-chart or something like that. I don't really like on-board text as it is less clear than a good graphic. But the general idea is good.

Osmos had good visual cues for relative threat; potential dangers (enemies that you could absorb, but are close to you in size and who might be able to turn the tables) have the "safe" color (blue) on the outside and the "threat" color (red) on the inside, and their degree of danger (how close in size they are to you) is represented by the ratio of the colors.

If your regions have variegated colors (like the crystal effect), you could potentially represent threat as literal color incursions: a safe region is solidly its own color; a region in jeopardy has little flecks of the threatening color in it, near the borders, that increase or decrease according to how bad the threat is.

Advertisement

What kind of rewards do you enjoy? Would you a star-based system be motivating? 13 = 3 stars , 11 = 2 stars, 9 = 1 star. Maybe I can add some achievments, like time and such... I personally find acheivements boring, but looking at current games, I am probably wrong.

Yeah, I'm not much one for achievements either.

Again, while noting this is totally based on my personal tastes, but for something like this I'm usually just fine with unlocking the next level/beating the AI.. If there were a win/lose criteria, like you had to have more tiles than the AI, or a certain number of tiles to advance to the next level, that's usually my main motivator while playing. The scoring doesn't hurt, but isn't my main driving force (Kind of akin to the score in Super Mario Brothers. For me it was always a little beside the point and I never really altered my playstyle to increase the score. But, again this is subjective, and I'm sure others did).

Beginner here <- please take any opinions with grain of salt

I added some taunting by the CPU player. Hopefully, if I can flesh this out a little bit, it will keep the game more interesting: What will he say next? I probably need to get a writer for this, but remembering the Portal series, a sassy AI can add alot to a puzzle game.

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

I enjoyed it.

The word "bordering" makes sense to me. Other games (using pen and paper) I played as a child used the concept of bordering.

I like the idea of stain glass windows, but I found that white flickering to be annoying.

I enjoyed it.

Thanks

I found that white flickering to be annoying

Yeah, I'm trying to come up with a better highliting algorithm. I want it to look like candle light. I use a sinus function with a companion random flicker for the lighting. It does not look natural yet.

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement