Easiest coding language?

Started by
24 comments, last by JohnnyCode 9 years, 4 months ago

For me to leave the impression that its just a more elegant version of C++ is certainly selling it short. It does a lot differently than C++, different concepts and models for things, and a few tricks of its own. For example, one rather neat thing about it is that a defined subset of the language can execute on bare metal with no runtime support and you can compile against this subset, so its suitable for embedded systems but also higher-level than C -- I intend to do some bare-metal programming in Rust next year, either on the Raspberry Pi, Nintendo DS, or GBA, just for kicks. Anyway, when I said it was an safer and less cumbersome alternative to C++, I meant that its focussed on safety and is a more-coherent language than C++ is, but it serves mainly the same domain and you're programming at roughly the same level of abstraction with a procedural language -- but it is a very different language than C++, not a direct derivitive; its much further removed from C++ than, say, D, C#, or Java.

Anyways, I'll stop derailing the thread now smile.png If anyone wants to continue this thread of discussion, PM me, or start a new thread and PM me the link.

Done and done.

It's an interesting enough topic and something we havent discussed much recently, so I figure it deserves it's own thread. That said, I don't have a ton of recent experience with Rust so I will mostly be an observer in that discussion.

Advertisement

Usually, if the OP hasn't responded with at least a thanks after 5 posts, I ignore the post. (Especially with a 101 rep)

But Lua, Ruby, and Python's syntax are pretty easy to grasp.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP. I'm currently seeking a degree in Game Design and I want to learn coding but I'm not sure on where to start. So I guess one question I would have is should your programming language choice be decided by what type of game you want to create? or is it just a matter of preference? After reading a lot of the post in this thread, watching online tutorials, among other general research, I think I want to start with something such as C# or Python.

But say I wanted to create something along the lines of a double dragon side scrolling beat-em-up. is there a code that I should lean towards?

Thanks for any advice in advance. much appreciated.

For the most part, if a language is approachable for game development of any kind then its going to be equally suited to making any kind of game. In that respect, the kind of game you want to make has little to say about what language you should choose. At the end of the day, to make a First-Person Shooter, or a side-scrolling beat-em-up, or a third-person platformer, you're solving mostly the same problems in whatever language you choose -- different languages will give you different features, and they might be useful in solving certain kinds of problems more or less elegantly, but in the large there's really no clear-cut winner as a game programming language, or as a master programming language in general. You won't sabotage yourself from making any kind of game, or be your own salvation, based on your language choices, so long as your choice is informed and reasonable. C# is probably a better choice than Python when it comes to scaling up complexity, but either one would be capable of a 80s/90s-style arcade beat-em up.

There might be other constraints that influence the language of choice -- If you intend to use Unity, C# is far and away the most practical option; If you need to touch hardware directly or take exacting control of how the code executes and data is organized, C++ it is. If you need to run in the browser, JavsScript (or something that compiles to javascript, like Dart/TypeScript/emscripten) is the practical broadly-supported choice, with a smattering of browser-specific technologies thrown in as compliments. Being specific about your language choice makes good sense when you have specific requirements that they fulfill, but otherwise the world is your oyster and you will be best-served to start by picking whatever language seems to make most sense to you, and which people have demonstrated making the kinds of things you want to make yourself (or of similar complexity).

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

For the most part, if a language is approachable for game development of any kind then its going to be equally suited to making any kind of game. In that respect, the kind of game you want to make has little to say about what language you should choose. At the end of the day, to make a First-Person Shooter, or a side-scrolling beat-em-up, or a third-person platformer, you're solving mostly the same problems in whatever language you choose -- different languages will give you different features, and they might be useful in solving certain kinds of problems more or less elegantly, but in the large there's really no clear-cut winner as a game programming language, or as a master programming language in general. You won't sabotage yourself from making any kind of game, or be your own salvation, based on your language choices, so long as your choice is informed and reasonable. C# is probably a better choice than Python when it comes to scaling up complexity, but either one would be capable of a 80s/90s-style arcade beat-em up.

There might be other constraints that influence the language of choice -- If you intend to use Unity, C# is far and away the most practical option; If you need to touch hardware directly or take exacting control of how the code executes and data is organized, C++ it is. If you need to run in the browser, JavsScript (or something that compiles to javascript, like Dart/TypeScript/emscripten) is the practical broadly-supported choice, with a smattering of browser-specific technologies thrown in as compliments. Being specific about your language choice makes good sense when you have specific requirements that they fulfill, but otherwise the world is your oyster and you will be best-served to start by picking whatever language seems to make most sense to you, and which people have demonstrated making the kinds of things you want to make yourself (or of similar complexity).

Wow. Thanks for the feedback and answering my questions Ravyne i'm truly grateful. I guess there's nothing left for me to do except pick one and dive in. Thanks again.

There are two types of languages from point of develpoment influence on memory, the memory safe (C#, Java, VB.), and then the memory unsafe (c++, pascal, c...) . If you are a beginner, it still hard to advice what to pick to learn about machine code and obstacles it bring in program runtime. With memory unsafe language, you will learn quite totally what software on computer is and gain experience needed, but if you attempt to do a larger project in memory unsafe language, you may end up giving up the production of the program!

What I would recommend is to learn memory unsafe language, and then move into memory safe language when you get to point of creating a serrious product (I highly recommend to pick memory safe language for production)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement