Tutorial Site for Game Developers

Started by
0 comments, last by jpetrie 9 years ago

Hi Guys,

I've recently been working on a tutorial site that focuses primarily on game developers and helping people to write beautiful code. The current tutorial series I've been working on is based on design patterns with a gaming twist and comes complete with java code examples.

If you want to check it out and tell me what you think then here's the link: Tutorial-Edge

Cheers guys!

Game Development Tutorials - My new site that tries to teach LWJGL 3.0 and OpenGL to anyone willing to learn a little.

Advertisement

The site looks decent enough, if a little riddled with social-network-share buttons.

The content is, I have to say, not terribly good. First, it mostly just looks like a survey of various patterns, each of which is accompanied with a concise (although sometimes slightly inaccurate) description and a contrived or poor example. The page on singletons, for example, has to be one of the worst attempts at exemplifying a singleton I've read in quite some time. The page on the factory pattern uses type-switching based on a random number, sidestepping most useful properties of factory systems.

Your pages really do nothing to illustrate or teach about "beautiful code" in any way, and in fact tend to suggest several anti-patterns in their examples. The overall structure of the set of tutorials trends towards reinforcing the flawed understanding that design patterns are pre-built solutions rather than simple vocabulary that tends to lead neophyte game developers off on tangents of over-engineering and questionable architecture.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement