IDEs vs editors

Started by
56 comments, last by jacmoe 8 years, 11 months ago

I am using QtCreator on Windows. smile.png

It is great, but I wish it had better CMake support.

It does have VIM emu mode, but I haven't tried it myself.

I don't use KDevelop projects on Linux, but instead work with the CMake scripts directly. Not surprisingly, KDevelop's CMake support is top-notch.

What I miss from KDevelop is the excellent CMake support as QtCreator often fails to deliver 'intelli-sense' when it's not using qmake projects..

I, too, use Qt Creator (with GCC) on Windows. While I think it is a pretty good IDE in its own right, what I absolutely *LOVE* is a component that's under the hood -- namely, the Qt Build Suite. It is powerful, flexible, easy to use, and integrates seamlessly with the IDE - while Qt Creator supports CMake (which I like and have a lot of respect for), the Qbs integration is much more polished.

While Qt Creator is my IDE of choice, I also like VS2013 -- and I just can't go back to using a standalone editor for serious work anymore.

Advertisement

I hate qmake with a passion.. and QBS seems to be much better.

However, why are those guys reinventing the wheel again?

qbs code looks a lot like CMake - seriously: why couldn't they have taken CMake and improve upon it?

It really like QtCreator and Qt framework - I use it quite extensively in my projects - but why not leverage the power of CMake (and the KDE team) and take it further?

Trolls.. they are enigmatic creatures. smile.png

I have no doubt that they expect it to take over the world.

I use the msvc2013_64_opengl toolkit with QtCreator and it works a treat. The debug interface is great and I don't miss using Visual Studio for that.

I am using CMake in all my projects and depend on it, so I can't justify messing around with qmake or QBS..

Funnily enough, I keep firing up Sublime for most of my editing - I really wish QtCreator had addons like Textmate emulation (and Visual Studio as well, to be honest) - I really can't live without it's column edit and multiple edit mode..

I guess you have to compromise between great editing and great integration.. seems like you can't (easily) have both.

Too many projects; too much time

Throughout university, I never wrote anything that required an editor with more features than SciTE or minimal-install emacs. Then I entered the industry, and within a month found myself working on a Java-based industrial process training simulator, which had inherited over 10 MB of plaintext source. Needless to say, for about a month I resented needing Eclipse to get anything done. Then I learned to stop worrying and love the bo... err, IDE.

Nearly ten years later, I use Eclipse for Java, PHP, Flash (via Flex SDK), and C++ development. I'm sure there's better domain-specific IDEs, but there's nothing else that will let me step-through debug Java->JNI->Java in a single window, and let me debug Flash->Tomcat communications, and let me seamlessly switch from writing C++ to writing Java without re-teaching my fingers a whole different set of shortcuts for twice-or-more-per-minute operations like "Open Resource", or "Jump to Declaration", or "Find All References".

Plus, Eclipse's Refactoring capabilities are top-notch, and now an integral part of my prototyping process. I just wish it had better Git plugins; SVN is as good as it gets, since Eclipse's native concepts of version control ends at CVS's capabilities.

RIP GameDev.net: launched 2 unusably-broken forum engines in as many years, and now has ceased operating as a forum at all, happy to remain naught but an advertising platform with an attached social media presense, headed by a staff who by their own admission have no idea what their userbase wants or expects.Here's to the good times; shame they exist in the past.

After using IntelliJ, I'll probably never touch Eclipse again.

Appcode also seems to be a pretty good replacement for Xcode. I've only tried it for the 30 day trial period but its refactoring capabilities are miles ahead of Xcode.

At the risk of drifting off-topic:

I hate qmake with a passion.. and QBS seems to be much better.

However, why are those guys reinventing the wheel again?

qbs code looks a lot like CMake - seriously: why couldn't they have taken CMake and improve upon it?

A good question that's been asked many times before, with a number of answers:

• NIH
  • Ease of maintenance, or lack thereof
  • Features: fast parallel incremental builds, seamless integration with the IDE, great support for projects with multiple interdependent products

I use it for the features. I find it simpler than CMake, better integrated into the IDE, and well-suited to my use cases.

Funnily enough, I keep firing up Sublime for most of my editing - I really wish QtCreator had addons like Textmate emulation (and Visual Studio as well, to be honest) - I really can't live without it's column edit and multiple edit mode..

I guess you have to compromise between great editing and great integration.. seems like you can't (easily) have both.

Qt Creator has column edit (hold down Alt+Shift then use the arrow keys), and multiple edit too in case it means symbol renaming (position the cursor under the variable you wish to rename then press Ctrl+Shift+R).

Awesome! I will check out multiple edit and column edit in QtCreator smile.png

I find it refreshing that CLion has made CMake the primary project format.
QBS could of course be better, but I don't feel like being locked in. I find that MSBuild, jom, etc. already has fast parallel incremental builds..
Unless, of course - and that would really surprise me! QBS actually manages to get wide traction. smile.png
If CLion had a free edition, I would probably be switching to using it, but I can't afford/justify getting a license.
Especially not when QtCreator and Visual Studio are free.

NetBeans is also a great IDE. Nothing too special about it. It's just overall solid.

Eclipse is .. I really want to like it. But I don't know. Can't put my finger on it, but the interface and the lack of speed doesn't sit well with me.
I appreciate it for being able to do pretty much everything. And I suspect that is also the reason why I find it hard to like it.

Visual Studio is very good.
However, it can sometimes crawl to a halt due to it doing all kinds of (mostly unwanted) magic in the background. And it really annoys me how it handles docking panels. I just get so frustrated that I fire up QtCreator or SublimeText instead. smile.png

Qt Creator has column edit (hold down Alt+Shift then use the arrow keys), and multiple edit too in case it means symbol renaming (position the cursor under the variable you wish to rename then press Ctrl+Shift+R).
VS has these as well. I get really annoyed nowadays when alt+left click+drag isn't present in an IDE/editor :lol:
Just to clarify: Sublime multi-select works by selecting multiple things and then work on multiple cursors simultaneously ->

I stand on a word and press Ctrl+D to select the next instance of that word and so on, and then I move the cursors and start editing.

I am not talking about column editing. That is useful, but only if the stuff you want to work with is laid out in consecutive columns, right?

I will mention that the same is true of Eclipse - although it has extensions providing support for C/C++,

Just to clarify on that point: JDT (Java Developer Tools) project is also an "extension" to the Eclipse platform. You can install Eclipse without JDT if you dont want the Java support, hell you can install Eclipse without anything, just the "workbench".

Eclipse is a platform where many projects get built on top, much like Netbeans, or how IntelliJ builds different IDEs on top of the same base.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Just to clarify on that point: JDT (Java Developer Tools) project is also an "extension" to the Eclipse platform. You can install Eclipse without JDT if you dont want the Java support, hell you can install Eclipse without anything, just the "workbench".

Yes, I'm well aware of that.

I think it would be hard to argue that the JDT isn't years ahead of any of the other language extensions...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement