I wanna make a game. I don't know what but I know I wanna make a game

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom Sloper 9 years ago
My name is Tristan and I have 3 long term life goals.

Life goal #1: Make a full length movie.

Life Goal #2: Write a song and form a band. Perform live with the band.

Life Goal #3: Create and be a part of the game designing process.

These goals have been decided and finalized as of 4/26/15. Now I know you can't just say "oh, I wanna make a game" and have the game materialize out of thin air. There are hundreds of hours that go into making a game and tons of work involved in the process. Personally, I have no experience with the making of an actual game (indie or not) but I do know quite a bit about the business and I took the first videogame design class that my school district introduced a few years back. (which was complete shit as it was in the "beta phase" in terms of how new it was and because of the lack of preparation from the district and teachers)

When I was in the 3rd grade, I had dreamed of becoming a game designer because of my unconditional love for videogames. Like many kids, I actually believed it was an achievable goal... that was until I realized how much mathematics actually went into development. I suck and have always sucked at math. I hate it. I barely made it through my math classes and I was sometimes missing out on crucial math skills that the average person needs partly because of my ADD. Now I'm not saying I can't add, subtract, multiply, and divide... I'm just saying it takes me too long to mentally solve certain math problems. Calculators are these angelic objects that have descended from the highest reaches of heaven. Seriously.

As of today, after actually learning about the industry over the years and having various discussions with devs at various events, I feel like I can at least be a part of the creative process and get at least one game released out into the world. Games are my passion and they are practically my life. Even though I'm currently wanting to pursue a career in film, ones dreams and desires can change through experience and success with other things. I feel like if I enjoy making a game, I may decide to pursue a career that involves me making games. If I don't enjoy the process, I can move on to other things and still be able to say I created a videogame that I'm proud of.

[edited by moderator]

As I said before, I don't know what I'm going to make but I want to make something good. If you are a writer, programmer, voice actor, artist, someone that wants to become one of those, or someone who doesn't even know what they want to do yet...

[edited by moderator]

-Tristan (Gravityhero) smile.png
Advertisement

me making of games

typo opps

EDIT: Fixed

When I was in the 3rd grade, I had dreamed of becoming a game designer

Do you mean what i think you mean, e.g. You want to create games?

Very few people are games DESIGNERS e.g. just someone that comes up with a plan and has others run with it.

In a game studio there may he one or two of these if any and they will be long time members of the team who've worked their way up from developer or something of a similar nature.

My advice to you, if you want to create any game, indie or otherwise, is to learn enough programming to create a demo of that game.

It doesn't have to be amazing and just needs to demonstrate the concept and gameplay elements. You could even use something like game maker and bypass the programming.

In short though if you want people to follow your dream, first bring something to the table other than ideas.

Secondly, think small. Don't try to make call of duty or world of warcraft because these are out of the reach of any indie.

I wish you luck in fulfilling your dream :)

As an alternative to the programming route, you could focus on physical games, such as a board game, card game, alternate reality game, playground game, athletic sport. There are so many genres to choose from, even within each of those few groups listed. Many of these can be experimented with quite rapidly, thereby building knowledge and experience of game design specifically much more quickly than the more technical route tends to allow. And you can build up a portfolio of projects that you can demonstrate to others, to prove that you understand important elements in game design. You might even learn how to apply these skills directly toward prototyping ideas in the early stage of a digital game project using non-digital media, which can be a great asset.

"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
I recommend using a game making software, here's a big list:

http://www.pixelprospector.com/the-big-list-of-game-making-tools/

I recommend starting with these to just get used to the logic of making games (how to think about design, space, problem-solving).

Then use them to try and pump out a quick crappy prototype so you can show people the basic idea of what you want to create. Then you are way more likely to attract a team.

That's what worked for me anyways, good luck!

[edited by moderator]

GravityHero, we do not permit team-building or recruiting in the discussion forums. That's why I deleted part of your post. If you want to recruit people, use the Classifieds.

Also: your topic is not about Game Design. Not everything somebody can say about game development is about Game Design. So I moved your topic to the Lounge, since what's left of your initial post is just describing your life goals. Good luck with your goals.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement