Newcomer here. Can you give me feedback to my first soundtrack / orchestral track?

Started by
6 comments, last by hyperdemented 8 years, 8 months ago

Hi,

I've been making music for quite some time as a hobby, but most of it was simple electronic music.

Since I recently found myself enjoying orchestral pieces more and more I wanted to give it a go myself.

I was aiming at something like a trailer kind of soundtrack - long enough to tell (the beginning of) a story but short enough to keep it interesting and with some twists here and there.

I would highly appreciate if you could tell me how you like the choice of instruments, composition and audio quality of my first attempt.
You can have a listen here:
https://soundcloud.com/hyperdemented/blueprints

Cheers!

Advertisement

Link is dead

sorry, i had to reupload it. should work again

I think there's some good work in here--it has a nice quirky mood that is very playful. I think it might be interesting if you play a little bit more with IMPLYING the main rhythmic pulse of the music--it's very heavy handed right now. The title suggests you were going for a mechanical feel and that plays into the high repetition, but there are ways to play with that and use it more subtly to keep it there without banging us over the head with it. The piece gets most effective in the climactic part where it sounds like you were going for length over ideas (in your description you suggest that the piece is "long enough" to work as a trailer piece but it sounds like it's too long or lacking in serious development at the end), afterall some of your phrases are repeated 4 times at the end--whew, that's quite tiring on the listener.

My suggestion is to immerse yourself in a listening experience, listen to the recently passed James Horner's soundtrack to Honey, I Shrunk the Kids--listen to the whole soundtrack, immerse yourself in its feel, pay close attention to its thematic development, it's mood shifts, its play with rhythm--how it balances mechanical and jazzy--and once you've drowned yourself in that fantastic soundtrack, listen again to your own track. You'll hear all the spots that work and the places where you could really enhance stuff. Don't be afraid to steal ideas (just make sure your music is original).

Good luck.

- [email=dan@musicianeer.com]Dan Reynolds[/email] (Composer|Music Implementer)
www.musicianeer.com

I really enjoyed that :) I think the only thing would be to add more reverb especially to the strings.

I overall liked the track. At 1:18-1:26 the note sequence definitely reminds me of a straight copy from another piece. I can't think of it now, but I'll circle back if it comes to me.

Honestly sounds great, makes me interested as the kind of game it goes to though. The instruments are great, gives it a mysterious kind of effect. I'm thinking this would be great for a Puzzle game :3 cheers on the work.

I think there's some good work in here--it has a nice quirky mood that is very playful. I think it might be interesting if you play a little bit more with IMPLYING the main rhythmic pulse of the music--it's very heavy handed right now. The title suggests you were going for a mechanical feel and that plays into the high repetition, but there are ways to play with that and use it more subtly to keep it there without banging us over the head with it. The piece gets most effective in the climactic part where it sounds like you were going for length over ideas (in your description you suggest that the piece is "long enough" to work as a trailer piece but it sounds like it's too long or lacking in serious development at the end), afterall some of your phrases are repeated 4 times at the end--whew, that's quite tiring on the listener.

My suggestion is to immerse yourself in a listening experience, listen to the recently passed James Horner's soundtrack to Honey, I Shrunk the Kids--listen to the whole soundtrack, immerse yourself in its feel, pay close attention to its thematic development, it's mood shifts, its play with rhythm--how it balances mechanical and jazzy--and once you've drowned yourself in that fantastic soundtrack, listen again to your own track. You'll hear all the spots that work and the places where you could really enhance stuff. Don't be afraid to steal ideas (just make sure your music is original).

Good luck.

Thanks, that definitely helps a lot. I remember that towards the end of the song, I rushed everything and might have copied some parts and didn't worry about variation much or keeping it interesting. I also had a terrible workflow back then because my PC was terribly slow and I kinda had a seperate project for almost every instrument and put them together in the end. It was horrible trying to change something.

Will check out the soundtrack, thanks for the suggestion!

I really enjoyed that smile.png I think the only thing would be to add more reverb especially to the strings.

Yeah, I took away a lot of the reverb to make it feel more room-like, since the default setting was drenched in it - might have overdone it though.

I overall liked the track. At 1:18-1:26 the note sequence definitely reminds me of a straight copy from another piece. I can't think of it now, but I'll circle back if it comes to me.

Please do, as I had the same impression when starting out with the melody. Asked some people which all said that it sounded familiar but they didn't think it was something well known.

Honestly sounds great, makes me interested as the kind of game it goes to though. The instruments are great, gives it a mysterious kind of effect. I'm thinking this would be great for a Puzzle game :3 cheers on the work.

Puzzle game could work out smile.png I for myself always had images of early platformer/adventure games running through my head (Donkey Kong 64, Banjo Kazooie..)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement