game engine

Started by
4 comments, last by Gian-Reto 8 years, 4 months ago
Hi guys i'm a new member here ...wub.png wub.png
i need your help : which is the best engine to used for a beginner like me ?? Game maker or unity ?? rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif
ps : this is my first video game and its for my graduation project for university biggrin.png biggrin.png
Advertisement
Can you program?

If you cant, or don't feel comfortable doing programming then I would say game maker

Unity assumes some level Of programming knowledge and depending on your time limits you might not have time to learn c# or javascript to the required level to create the game.

Good luck!

Two questions that would answer yours smile.png :

1. What are your past programming experiences?
  2. What type of game are you aiming at? (Top Down, Platformer, 2D / 3D? )

As braindigitalis was saying, if your programming experience is rather small GameMaker is a good choice from the two, as it provides a visual way of defining behaviour (Although it can get tedious)

FastCall22: "I want to make the distinction that my laptop is a whore-box that connects to different network"

Blog about... stuff (GDNet, WordPress): www.gamedev.net/blog/1882-the-cuboid-zone/, cuboidzone.wordpress.com/

the game about "farming" the type will be 3D and my programming experience not bad but not so good

so i will choose game maker

Since you're doing 3d I'd go with unity.

Could you describe what you mean when you say " my programming experience not bad but not so good"

what do you have problems with? Maybe it won't be an issue with Unity.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

GameMaker is not suitable for 3D development IMO.

Go with Unity, its C# API is easy enough if you have some OO Programming expierience, and have ever done anything in Java or other C-like language.

Unreal Engine 4 would be another possibility, giving you the option of using Blueprints, a visual scripting tool that allows you to create scripts without having to know any language syntax (altough you still need to know the basics of programming).

As an engine Unreal is harder to get into than Unity though, and the documentation is a little "harder to read" (because, while containing all the needed information, its indexing is much worse than in the Unity documentation, making it harder to find the information).

Really, download Unit 5 (its free), and give it a try.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement