Godot or not?

Started by
15 comments, last by SibylSystem 4 years ago

Before I start ask the big question I'll first explain my situation.
     For those that follow my project you already probably know I'm making a 2d RPG with Unity. It has been working well for us so far, but there have been issues that have made we wonder recently if we should switch before it really is too late...

Issue #1 : Internet has been an issue. I don't always have internet on my computer, and so when offline time comes along, even though Unity is supposed to work, it sometimes just plain doesn't!  This has cost us several evening of development so far, and has been incredibly frustrating to deal with.

Issue #2 : 2d has also been an issue. Even though the scripting side has gone like a dream for us, the animating and pixel art very much has not. Prototypes are decently fast, but rendering has forced us to use hacks, and even change our art so that Unity can properly render it... Obviously not a satisfactory situation ☹️

I know this is a small list, but I'm sure you guys understand I can't accept losing possibly weeks of development time every time I have to work offline, and that I hate to think that I might run into a 2d rendering issue that will also prove costly. Also, as you guys know Unity is mostly built for 3d and if there are bugs I don't exactly have a lot of help.

With all that said I have been looking around for a good option and direction to take, and one of the first engines I hit was Godot. Free, Good 2d, a very beginner friendly.
     Spending Money isn't that much of an option for us otherwise I would take GameMaker, but I have heard that Godot would be right in the Wheelhouse of what we are looking to make.

So my 2 Big questions here are. How well does Godot flow with offline work, and would it really be as good for our project as it seems to me to be. Also, how good is GDScript for bigger Projects?

Thank you very much to whoever is reading this and takes the time to answer, because I really need to know if i'm going the right direction with all this.

Advertisement

In general, the best thing to do in such cases is a test drive by yourself. It's terribly hard to get the experience across through a text-only medium, where ideas and experiences differ greatly.

So, download the thing, and try it. You could even wait with doing that until you're stuck with Unity again ("trying" part, not the "download" part ? ). There is really no substitute for experiencing it yourself.

Give it a few days, then you have somewhat of an understanding what you can expect and you can make a more informed decision.

What platforms are you aiming for? If android / iOS I would make some little tests and double check that your exports work. I've not been able to get android builds to work, however I've only used 3d and the 2d may be easier for this.

It has offline help files which are really handy, especially as there isn't as much useful stuff online / tutorials as with unity.

Also expect bugs, it is very much a work in progress (check out the issue tracker on github). There are things you may need to workaround. But this is the same with unity.

GDscript is pretty capable, especially as of 3.1. However it is slow, so you won't want to do any heavy computation. This may improve in the future roadmap with the new strong typing. There are also optional builds with C# support now if you prefer that.

Thanks to the both of you :) I think I will check it out

"Issue #1" was also for me the reason to go away from Unity to Godot. I like the simplicity of Godot (just 1 file and no internet connection or other overheads needed). Until now (i am porting my game from MadeWithMarmalade) everything goes fine in Godot and I hadn't any showstopper. 

Thanks very much @AticAtac!! Exactly the comment I was waiting for.  I'm currently turning to dual booting my Mac because it's getting older, and since Godot is supported on Linux I may just take this time and dive into it.

Godot is in alpha and it shows.

Edit: take a look at Xenko https://xenko.com/ it's more mature than Godot.

And thanks for the downvote, just sharing my opinion, I've had Godot on my system for a few weeks and I'm yet to even be able to get it to run, it's not ready for prime time. They even say on the front page - Don't use this for commercial projects - It's not ready.

19 minutes ago, fleabay said:

Is that an opinion also? 

Does it sound like opinion? That being said, I can't actually find the page that says that. I don't think I'm mistaken, except that it doesn't look like it was on the front page.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement