Game with 2D and 3D

Started by
7 comments, last by Svein Larsen 4 years, 9 months ago

Hi all...

I'm starting development of a mobile game, and am wondering if there is or ever has been any game that has combined 2D and 3D into the same game.

I'm not talking about a game that transitioned from an earlier 2D version into a later 3D version.

I'm talking about a game that perhaps starts as a 2D game, then after a certain level of achievement, changes into a 3D game, or vice versa., or combines the two styles simultaneously somehow.

Thanks for your help

Advertisement

Fez does this epically.  I could use some refinement, but overall I think this is what you mean.

Are you a programmer?

I am an indie game developer who enjoys pixel art games.

I can think of Xenogears (PS1) where your character was represented by a 2D sprite in a 3D world.  There are surely tons of examples like this, where 2D sprites and images are superimposed on 3D geometry.  Original Doom was this way.  Too many examples to name actually once you think about it.

Mario Odyssey has 2d sections in a 3d world. 

mario-2d-3d.gif?resize=360,250&strip=all

I'm just starting to learn to program and am thinking of a story and how to present it.

I thought it would be unique to combine 2D and 3D...maybe use Unity to accomplish that. Now seeing that it would not be totally unique is still ok, but I need to learn from similar games.

I would like to continue research into any other previous games that have used this strategy, and would like more input of similar game titles.

thank you

can anyone think of a game that transitions from either a 2D platform style or 2D tilemap-based game to a 3D first-person perspective?

While I dont think it ever goes to an FPS view, Evoland does transition through the various generations of RPG, from black and white tile based through fully 3d. 

Nanashi no Game, if that counts. It has 2D sections where the protagonist plays a game on his haunted game system.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement