My web is online, can i have your feedback?

Started by
2 comments, last by Cris0me 4 years, 6 months ago

Cristián here. I am an Argentine composer who has just published his website. Beyond the good news, I would greatly appreciate the opinion of those who take the job of browsing and listening to my portfolio or demo reel. My main objective is to obtain a contract in the videogame industry, of which I am very passionate and although I have composed for some video games, my intention is to take another step towards professionalism. Thank you very much in advance.

Site: https://cristiandagustini.com/

Advertisement

Hey man. Nice pictures. I think the graphical content is nicely presented on the site.

The reel has a lot of stuff that's on the busy side. I think it could benefit from having some simpler material that showcases a delicate realistic VI implementation.

Also, the sound libraries are holding you back. I don't say this to be mean or critical, but those string libraries are really lacking realism. The absence of divisi voicings, and not having extended articulations like glides, portamentos, pizzicatos, tremolo, or using round robin sampling are all small things that add up to a composition sounding 'digital'. But the trick is not to show them off for the sake of demonstrating you are capable of using these. Its to be subtle and tasteful in how you integrate them into relatively simplistic composition.

I would suggest creating 2 different reels for film vs video game composition.  

Also a lot of those mixes has a harshness at 1-2K and 4500-6000hz that makes them seem a bit brittle. Dial these back, or control them with a good multi-band compressors on your group busses to add smoothness and warmth.

Also a lot of those mixes has a harshness at 1-2K and 4500-6000hz that makes them seem a bit brittle. Dial these back, or control them with a good multi-band compressors on your group busses to add smoothness and warmth.

This is my placeholder signature

Thank you very much for the review. This is what I need to keep growing. I am aware of my "strong" side as a composer, but I need external ears to listen to my "weakness." Is there a string library that you recommend for a more quiet mood? I recently acquired "Metropolis Ark" and I think that it really helps me to create a certain "immense and intense or epic" sound but obviously they don't cover the other side of the path and as soon as I try to make subtle articulations or divisi they are not very effective because it divides string families in High, medium and low, and at the ends of the registers different instruments sound together (violas and cellos, violins and violas). I will modify my demo reel taking into account the recommendations you made to me, I am aware that simple pieces are missing. 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement