How to start a team/project?

Started by
14 comments, last by GeneralJist 2 years, 1 month ago

Quick answer - Do a game jam. You can look for a team while specifying there's something specific you have in mind you want to try making - and make a vertical slice prototype of the game you have in mind. It'll also give you a taste for what the other questions you have involve.

Advertisement

Gnollrunner said:

If you spent 7 years and literally have nothing, my guess is this probably isn't for you.

People seem to be taking offense to that statement, but honestly, I agree with it.

I've spent even more than seven years, and I also have nothing to show for it. I could have spent that time writing stories, and by now I could have been good enough to sell some books. I could have spent that time drawing comics and would have been quite good at it by now. I could have been making videos, and - well I probably wouldn't be making any money from that but I would at least have something to show.

But instead I spent years of my life learning how to make games and I don't have anything to show for it. Maybe I'll have something done after a couple more years and it will get buried on the Steam Store and I might sell ten copies ever. I could have had that same amount of success five years ago if I just kept making my webcomic.

Video games are a collaborate effort; they take teams of people. The few times you can look at something good that came from just one man it was someone with the passion and motivation of ten people.

Seriously, maybe this isn't for you. Maybe there is something else that you would like better. I can't tell you for sure that there is, but don't discount the possibility.

Don't live your life in regret.

Read my webcomic: http://maytiacomic.com/
Follow my progress at: https://eightballgaming.com/

Marscaleb said:

Gnollrunner said:

If you spent 7 years and literally have nothing, my guess is this probably isn't for you.

People seem to be taking offense to that statement, but honestly, I agree with it.

You are referring to me so I'll answer you as well. You don't know OP's situation. I don't know OP's situation. “Having nothing to show” could mean many different things to different people. If in their view OP doesn't think the 7 years have proved worthwhile then of course it's time to quit.

Marscaleb said:

I could have spent that time writing stories, and by now I could have been good enough to sell some books. I could have spent that time drawing comics and would have been quite good at it by now. I could have been making videos, and - well I probably wouldn't be making any money from that but I would at least have something to show.

Video games are a collaborate effort; they take teams of people.

Just want to note as well that creative writing is incredibly hard and competitive, and probably a lot more so than making games. Making videos/films requires a lot more collaboration than gamedev. You have to get together with people in a physical space 12+ hours a day for weeks/months on end. There are tons of decisions to be made and people to keep happy. That's the main reason I decided to stop pursuing filmmaking and instead try and make games. Comic books I have no clue about.

My point here is that spending 7 years of gamedev might lead to nothing. But spending 7 years on another creative pursuit would also likely lead to nothing. That doesn't mean it's not worth pursuing if you have enough interest.

@perry_blueberry More people than you were reacting negatively to that comment.

And everything I said was coming from very personal experience. All these things I mentioned (and more) are things I personally have practiced and developed myself in. (And I said “making videos” not “Filmmaking,” I'll wager you understand the difference.) I very nearly did put my time into those things.

And filmmaking is just as collaborative as making video games. You could make a solo film project just as easily as a solo game project; in both cases they take a diverse range of talent and time. It all comes down to what kind of film you want to make and what kind of game you want to make. I can make a film without any actors. I can make a game without any programming.

Read my webcomic: http://maytiacomic.com/
Follow my progress at: https://eightballgaming.com/

You want to create a game? Then create a game! It's that simple. Design a game that's within your reach (both in terms of skills and amount of work), then implement that game. Keep working on it until it's finished or you decide that game development isn't for you.

Forget about collaboration for now. Nobody wants to collaborate with an unproven newbie. Collaborations are far more likely to fall apart than solo projects. A successful collaboration requires an experienced game developer as team leader.

So, my best advise to you if after all this time you still don't know how to do this yourself go find a hobby project or a mod, and learn and get a finished project under your belt. Or go to university and get a related degree your passionate about. Do not under any circumstances waste your time with a game dev degree. Network both locally and globally. On LinkedIn on these forums. And elsewhere.

If you still want to try your hand at leading a team with your level, which will be a great learning experience for you than go for it. Decide on an idea, write a GDD and post here and indiedb.com

I could pass on more lessons, but it would spoil the experience and journey and the ups and downs of leading your own game dev team.

I'll just leave you with this before I answer your questions. Every successful gamedev team needs capable leadership in 3 core load bearing pillars. Art Administration, and Code. Figure out where you fit, what pillar you can provide, and find and inspire people to fill the other roles.

They will work for you for free for passion alone, if and only if you create the proper culture, and build out your own processes and procedures.

Good luck,

1. Yu go on a forum or another site where game devs are and you ask you pitch them and you put on a recruiter hat..
  2. Simple and definitive answer, you form a company and own the IP, before that, you need to convince others of your vision and knowledge
  3. You learn psychology and you pick the right people, you put yourself out there and show who you are, it will attract the right people,
  4. Portfolio, experience connections, Rev share
  5. When you look at it and say to your self it's enough. No one can tell you that but you, remember that.
  6. Get on a voice chat system I'd recommend Slack, skype or teams, Do Not use discord IMO, it's not made for devs. it's made for communities.
  7. Well, you should be leader, and then how you choose your dpt leaders and everyone else is up to you. Structure it however you want, and under no circumstances make an org chart at your level.
  8. No idea, I got a tech former co-founder chief engineer for that. But you will need a code repository.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement