How does one describe the player without creating friction from different belief systems.

Started by
5 comments, last by Tom Sloper 1 year, 1 month ago

Example… a game where the player is playing “god". Think Viva Pinata for context.

I am writing a GDD and looking for a way to phrase this correctly without drawing the hate from online communities who take the words at face value. The game is based in nature and focused on manipulating it. Nature does not have a patent on any theory related to it. Both Science and Religion can not prove anything one way or another. Its all ultimately a limited understanding of something. So if I use the word “Darwinism”, I only want that to mean survival of the fittest. The game is supposed to be a E10+ ESRB. The parents are obviously the ones who buy the games, and most responsible parents research what they letting their kid be exposed to.

Am I over thinking this?

Advertisement

werdeepscience said:
So if I use the word “Darwinism”, I only want that to mean survival of the fittest.

The word “Darwinism" carries some fairy heavy associations, I do fear, as well as multiple definitions.

Myself, I think that for this specific case I'd likely just use the phrase “survival of the fittest”: it's common enough that I'd expect it to be understood, and it perhaps doesn't carry quite as much baggage as does “Darwinism”.

In general, if a word seems fraught, I might suggest perhaps looking for an alternative word (or even an alternative usage of the same word) that doesn't carry that weight. (Or, if you're unsure of whether a given word is indeed a potential problem in your context, simply asking after it--as you've done here.)

As to words carrying the meanings that you want, to some degree this can be done (such as by defining your terms early on, or through demonstrative usage). But ultimately you don't control how someone reads your work, and if there are extant and well-established definitions they may, I think, overshadow your intended definitions.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Thank you for the response. You bring up some really good points. I am trying to research things as deep as the rabbit hole goes. Most of the information I am finding is brilliant, yet am not familiar how language today might or might not still be associated.

I am hoping maybe there is some middle ground to be found in Alchemy where the lines were still blurred. Most alchemists describe the whole concept as the Macrocosm being the whole, and the microcosm being the parts.

Thaumaturge said:
an alternative word (or even an alternative usage of the same word) that doesn't carry that weight.

I think using an alternative usage of the same word is the best way.

Thanks again!!!

Writing a simple thing in a design document can really be stressful somehow, if your radar is active with seeing things go toxic online.

It's my pleasure; I'm glad if I've helped. ^_^

Stepping into the verbiage of alchemy is an interesting approach! That could indeed yield some useful words, I suspect--and may give the game a distinct feel, done well, I imagine. ^_^

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

I will come back and update the exact phrasing I am going to use.. hopefully baggage free.

Glad I finally signed up here.. ?

Thread necroed by spammer. Thread locked.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement