Level progression curve in MMORPGs

Started by
3 comments, last by Tom Sloper 1 year ago

Hello,

As this is my first post on this forum, I apologise if the title is unclear or if this is the incorrect place to post (in which case I request a mod to move it to the right place).

While reading an old research article/paper on how to build an MMO, using WoW as a case study, I stumbled across a part discussing player engagement and character abandonment w.r.t time spent leveling and how it is broken up. Fast in the early levels, linear for a good chunk of the medium levels, and then slowing down to a crawl at higher levels. Source: https://nideffer.net/classes/270-08/week_06_wow/buildinganmmo_wow_etal.pdf

Personally, I have always found that its good to be able to breeze through at least a few levels in the beginning to keep players interested. From my own experience, not having a variety of skills to use makes the task of leveling feel labrious and I end up dropping the game if the combat doesn't open up soon. Of course this isnt true for everyone and I understand that. Just that the Fast-Early, Linear-Mid, Slow-Late progression seems to make sense to me from a perspective of combat and immersion.

Is this the only approach to player level progression or are there other ways of designing the leveling experience which are also viable? What are your thoughts about it?

Advertisement

SnuSnu said:
there other ways of designing the leveling experience

This sword costs 2$ of bitcoin cash (BCH). Click to this icon to generate your payment address.

@SnuSnu What does leveling mean? What happens when you level up? Gain an arbitrary number- sounds fun. Go up a number that has no effect fast or slow.

@budvesota , please don't necro old threads and please don't hijack someone else's topic to ask your own question. This thread is locked. budvesota, please start your own topic. Browse the forums, find the best forum for your question, and click the green “Start a new topic” button.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement