A newbie game translator seeking for help of UI phrases

Started by
8 comments, last by oliviachan7011 1 year, 7 months ago

Hi there,

I am a newbie game translator with only 2-year game-playing experience. I am seeking help understanding some phrases in UI. I've asked my PM but the reply is very slow.

These phrases in the UI that bother me include:

1.American \n white oak
2.Log: STATUS CRITICAL
3.Trace for {0} discovered
4.TSUKEMONO. This one is really strange to me. I can't imagine why a UI bears the meaning of TSUKEMONO, a kind of Japanese pickled vegetable.

Your help is really appreciated.

Advertisement

oliviachan7011 said:

1.American \n white oak
2.Log: STATUS CRITICAL
3.Trace for {0} discovered
4.TSUKEMONO. This one is really strange to me. I can't imagine why a UI bears the meaning of TSUKEMONO, a kind of Japanese pickled vegetable.

1. It's a tree, whose wood is used in the manufacture of barrels for aging whiskey. American oak is also called white oak.
  2. It means there is danger of failure of the item or process in question. The item is in danger of breaking down or possibly exploding.
  3. Whatever [0] is, none of it has been detected.
  4. “A kind of Japanese pickled vegetable” is correct.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper Hi Tom
Thank you very much!! I really appreciate. ??

Sorry, correction. “Trace of [x] discovered” means a tiny amount of [x] has been detected. (Not “none”)

(It should say “trace OF,” not “trace FOR”)

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper Hi Tom, roger that! Many thanks a again. ??

Depending on context, I could also see “Trace for {0} discovered” meaning:

• That a stack-trace related to the process has been found, or
  • That some mark indicating the earlier presence of {0} has been found. (This is close to Tom Sloper's interpretation)

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

I am thinking that {0} is a tag to be replaced by game code with an actual value or text. Lots of localisation systems support C# like string formatting.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

@Thaumaturge Hi Thaumaturge : Roger that! Really appreciate your help. ??

@NightCreature83 Hi NightCreature83: Roger that! I have zero coding background. Your information really helps. Thanks a lot. ??

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement