New to game development - need some help/advice

Started by
4 comments, last by whimsygirl 1 year, 2 months ago

So I've fliping between an idea at the moment - a game heavily inspired by Lumious Arc.

The 'cutscenes' aren't the important part ATM, but it's more about designing levels and impleting a combat system, but the toughest part for me will be designing the character models as they will move in the combat (idle animation) and they are slightly 3d.

Not entirely sure how to make these characters or anything as I'm not an artist and I can't afford to pay people to help me design them.

Can I have some advice or tips on how to start?

Advertisement

So what question are you asking? And what is the relevance of the images you included with your post?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Irish_Girl_Becca said:
Not entirely sure how to make these characters or anything as I'm not an artist and I can't afford to pay people to help me design them.

Maybe it's an idea to try voxel characters instead 2D sprites. I mean to make the artwork easier. The result could be still turned to 2D images if desired.
Isometric pixel art sprites is probably a rare skill. I made a game with a similar tilted top down / front side perspective, and drawing characters really was difficult, while environment was fine.
But idk a program to edit animated voxel sprites. Maybe MagicaVoxel. Lexaloffe games have such editor built in for sure.

Irish_Girl_Becca said:
… but the toughest part for me will be designing the character models as they will move in the combat (idle animation) and they are slightly 3d. Not entirely sure how to make these characters or anything as I'm not an artist and I can't afford to pay people to help me design them.

Hmm… Perhaps you might start with just stand-in models until you get the combat working, and then see if you can interest an artist? Otherwise, it might be worth looking around for free-and-royalty-free assets that, even if not perfect fits, might nevertheless serve your purposes.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement