Started my first game dev team!

Started by
2 comments, last by gamechfo 1 year, 3 months ago

I started my first game dev team! Quite exciting and stressful so far.

I'm the game designer/programmer, another is a programmer and the last person is an artist. It's been rough so far, as I'm the project leader and I've never done this before. Thankfully the other 2 are also beginners, so it's aight. We settled on the idea of “Enter the gungeon, but fantasy”. I've never played the game, so I bought it to learn from it to help design the game we are making.

We've come across our first big problem, direction. What is this game? This came about from the starting idea, which was just “Enter the gungeon, but fantasy” from one of the team members. I'd preferred something like 1-2 paragraphs for an idea but they guy who suggested it was only ~15, so they are newer than me. That's all we had for design of the game before they had to leave the meeting for irl stuff, and we haven't been able to meet again yet to talk more on it.

I'm thinking it's gonna be hard to get what they want out of the game, they both are ~15 yr (I'm 18). I don't think they will quite get how to communicate what they want, but as the game designer and leader of the project I guess that's my job to sort out lol. To sort this problem out I set out a road map for our game. Right now it has a list of meeting points we got to go over to cover some stuff to sort out “What is this game?”

=====

In that one 30 min meeting we had, I've already learned a lot to improve on in future projects/this one. It's crazy, was definitely worth trying out working with others on a game. Can't wait to see what else I'll learn from leading this group.

None

Advertisement

That's cool that you've started your project. Since you're just telling us stuff and not asking anything, maybe a blog would be a better venue for documenting your progress. There's a link to the Blogs section in the left nav bar. And when you have questions about how to manage the team, you can ask in the Production And Management forum. In the Forums page, you can click the Browse button to find all the forums.

Good luck!

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Tom Sloper said:
Since you're just telling us stuff and not asking anything, maybe a blog would be a better venue for documenting your progress.

I was just gonna leave it as a one off post, but documenting my progress in a blog does sound nice. Might do that.

Tom Sloper said:
And when you have questions about how to manage the team, you can ask in the Production And Management forum.

Thanks, will check it out when I need it!

Tom Sloper said:
Good luck!

Thanks!

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement