Designing a game that doesn’t promote addiction or instant gratification.

Started by
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 1 year, 1 month ago

Basically these are bad habits games teach up where we do a thing and BAM we get a reward. This isn’t genre specific either. All games do this and most games are addictive but the idea of a game you can put down sounds like a financial disaster https://omegle.onl/, but as someone struggling with this addiction how do I help come up with ideas for games that break this mode and revolutionize the habits of humanity for the better?

Note to avoid confusion I’m not using any nostalgia. There are old games that demanded endless hours to be on top or have a world first. Even games like WoW and EverQuest before it demanded endless hours to be viable at killing end game targets.

And things like dailies sorta force you to either get on now or else miss and worse can have limits you can skeevishly hide behind p2w walls.

To further explain often times games reward you instantly which can set a strange trigger mindset into our animal brains similar to a Pavlov dog.

This can put unrealistic standards in people and mess with our psyche.

Advertisement

jabujakan said:
how do I help come up with ideas for games that break this mode and revolutionize the habits of humanity for the better?

Just who is asking you to help them come up with ideas for games? We occasionally see folks in the Hobby Project Classifieds forum who want to develop their skills and don't have ideas for games themselves, so you might want to try there (click Forums at left, then click Browse at top, then scroll down to find Hobby Project Classifieds).

As you noted, there ARE games that “break” the pattern you decry, so it's not like such games don't exist. I recommend you play those a while so you can understand how they entice people to keep playing. That could help you find a path to where you're trying to go.

You seem to be saying that games that use instant gratification as an enticement to keep playing are causing bad habits in all of humanity. And you seem to think that if you help someone come up with games that are fun without “do X, BAM, get reward, do X, BAM, get reward” that those games will replace the current world of popular games. And that will cause a change for the better in the world. Do you really believe that?

Even our apps use BAM reward, BAM reward - it's not just games. Social media - Facebook, Instagram, TikTok - all use that to keep people scrolling and swiping. It's not just games.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement