Looking for best approach implementing a 3D Unity golf putting game

Started by
1 comment, last by Alberth 10 months ago

Hi,

Just started playing around with Unity and downloading some Mixamo models. I've download and imported a couple of golf animations so the character does the pre-putt and then transitions into the actual putt animation.

Questions:

1. How would I get the character to walk carrying a putter to wherever the golf ball is on the putting green and then start the pre-putt and putt animations, again with him holding the putter properly?
  2. Initially I can just use a plane and a cylinder to represent the green and cup, but how would I make it will rolling hills and green grass?
  3. How do I skin the model to look like a man?

I appreciate the help. Thanks for your time.

Advertisement

Never used Unity, but these are pretty normal questions when starting.

You have an aim, but now that you sat down to actually start building it, you find there are a lot of sub-questions that need to be answered first. At first sight your sub-questions look too vague as well. Things like “properly” don't work well with computers. Expect more sub-questions as you go along.

The way to get forward is to take a single sub-question and see that as a sub-problem that should be solved first. Read about unity, find out tutorials, look for what other people has said or shown on the subject. Slowly you will find out how things are commonly done and how to go about it. Do a few experiments of your own (there is no substitute for experiencing it yourself!), and at some point you arrive at “good enough for now”.

Once you run out of relevant sub-questions, you can go back to the bigger problem, and compose the various results of the sub-questions into a full solution.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement