Guidance on creating a road network with pathfinding and navigation

Started by
2 comments, last by KielanT 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Hi, I want to make a road network that has two lanes, it must allow vehicle AI and being able to display navigation on the road like GTA. I am using unreal engine, so I know I can use splines and then use a pathfinding algorithm with the spline points, but it must allow for two lanes, so do I just add an extra spline for the left side and right side of the road or can I just use one? What are ways I can implement this?

Thanks

None

Advertisement

I'm not sure I'd do either. Have you looked at what Unreal provides along that functionality? You can find pathfinding, navigation, steering/avoidance behavior, detour management, and more in the library.

While pathfinding can work well with lines it is more about a connectivity graph. You are almost certainly more interested in paths through the collision geometry through the world.

@frob I have used the navigation system before but I am not sure how I can use it for the two lanes and possibly more in the future. I'm also not sure how I would use the nav mesh to show road markings to show the right way to the destination (which is my main priority). I'll experiment with the nav mesh and iterate, be fun to do.

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement