Seeking Input on Naming a Game Backend Feature for Shared Data Storage

Started by
1 comment, last by All8Up 3 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm part of a team working on a game backend service, and I'm wondering what you think.

We're trying to figure out what to call a feature that stores a table of data on the server that all players can lookup.
For example, the table could contain item prices, monster stats, and NPC dialog scripts.

I'm not a native English speaker, so I'm not sure what the best and most natural name for this would be. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Advertisement

@orca3 Personally, in the past I've called these “uniforms” (taken from GLSL) as a way to clarify that they are shared by many users. Of course, why not “shared”? I just think “shared” is a bit of an overused term and wanted something to clarify the intent uniquely. Some other possibilities depending on use cases:

“Constant table” if they are not modified by actions of players and are just fixed data.
“Design data” is a variation of the ‘constant’ name in terms that this is fixed game designer supplied data.

And I'm sure others would make sense but they likely all depend on the overall intentions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement