Team Culture and experiences with working in a team as a game developer

Started by
6 comments, last by GeneralJist 2 weeks, 4 days ago

Good afternoon everyone,

I will be finishing my bachelors degree here by the end of the year and I am curious what the teamwork and culture is like within a game studio. This can either be a small to mid level companies or larger ones like triple A studios. If you are willing to share your experiences that would be greatly appreciated and valuable insight for me and maybe others. Thank you again for your time and sharing!

V/r

Ben

Advertisement

Every company is different. Interview them as they interview you.

Thread moved to the Careers forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This question is too broad.

Do you mean team work culture in general?

do you mean in hobby unpaid projects?

Do you mean in funded indies?

Do you mean in AA or AAA companies?

This question is effectively showing up at a restaurant, and asking the waiter for food, without specifying an item on the menu.

Company culture changes from company to company, The aspect of teamwork is hard to quantify, without being more specific. Also remote? onsite? Hybrid?

PLEASE REFINE your question.

Team work is a product of the culture and the culture is a product of the people. And this is why it's so hard to get a job in this industry, hiring managers and recruiters know this, so that is why there are gatekeepers. ONE WRONG HIRE CAN BRINGDOWN AN ENTIRE ORGANAZATION, and potentially derail a project that takes years and billions of dollars.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

Good afternoon @GeneralJist ,

I appreciate your feedback on this and After relooking at the question I agree with you it is a vague or broad questions and I apologize for that. I am just trying to figure out the general team work culture in any aspect of game development whether that be in unpaid projects, funded indies, and AA or AAA companies. I have never worked in the video game industry before and am just trying to see what it is like as I will soon be hopefully entering into it. I also figured each company would differ and that's why I was hoping to get experiences from multiple people talking about their experience with the game communities they have worked with. This would give me a broader understanding of what to expect in the near future. Hopefully this helps refine the questions but if it doesn't then let me refine it to the max. What is it like working at bethesda full time as a programmer on site? This is the job I am striving for and am trying to figure out if it will be a good work environment.

I also looked at your companies page Honor Games and can I say you guys are working on some cool things. The different projects yall are working on or have worked on look amazing. Keep up the amazing work!

V/r

Ben

What is it like working at bethesda full time as a programmer on site?

It is a day job in an office. Physically the job is easy and safe, with good insurance, and relatively good pay versus broad society. It is technical, mental work. The first few years pay is a little lower than most industries as a beginner programmer due to supply and demand, but it quickly vanishes. It is not investment banking pay or FAANG / MAMAA, but they were always outliers. With experience the pay is similar to programming in everyday businesses.

Your specific manager and team will make a big difference, one team might be on schedule and another falling behind in a panic. One manager might be better at fighting scope creep than another, or might be a better personality match for you individually.

Some managers will stand up to workers, “eight great hours then go home”, it could be a question if they see you surfing the web, “is this a working hour or are you on a lunch break?”, for others it can be an instruction to go home at the end of the day and stop thinking about work. There are also managers who will take every minute an employee offers, if they go home after a day of work they accept it, if the person spends 10 hours at the office they accept it. There are offices that have meetings at 8:00 am and are a ghost town at 5:00 pm, there are offices where people arrive at 10 or 11 in the morning and 6:00 or even 8:00 pm the work is going strong. Everyone is different.

benjamin.lohr770 said:
just trying to see what it is like as I will soon be hopefully entering into it.

Don't want to crush your dreams, but your specifically targeting AAA, which will be hard to get into. And from all I've heard, some people are willing to sacrifice substandard working conditions at the chance to work in their dream job.

With all the layoffs now, It will be harder than ever to get into AAA.

KEEP YOUR EXPECTATIONS MODULATED.

oh,

thanks for checking out our website.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

Advertisement