Advice on a publisher

Started by
5 comments, last by Tom Sloper 4 weeks ago

So I was doing a while ago game for steam. I wanted to market it myself. I think the game is overall good and I wanted to save time and money and the profits that I would need to share with publisher and also try my marketing skills.

I released the game and even when I had few influencers and curators to give me overall 17 positive reviews. But after I think 2 weeks from release I saw no traction, didn't sell even one unit. I must say I didn't build followers and marketing before release.

Anyway the game was released but after 2 months without sales frustrated I pulled it from steam. But now I think I want to get back to doing games and since I have fully made game I was thinking to try it now with a publisher.

Hence my question:

- should I try to change the game name and try to delete any trace of the game from internet and approach publisher like it's a fresh new game?

- or should I be upfront with publisher and say how it was and hope they will understand and want to work with me?

What you think it's smarter think to do?

Thanks!

Advertisement

likon said:
should I try to change the game name and try to delete any trace of the game from internet

If you do that, you can't mention…

likon said:
I had few influencers and curators to give me overall 17 positive reviews

btw, this is now moved to the Business and Law forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@Tom Sloper Thanks Tom, but what do you think is the best idea? which option is worth it? Do publishers work with already released games?

@robertrobert , there's an old American saying that goes, “Honesty is the best policy.”

Regardless of what effect you think being truthful might actually cause to happen, if you lie, then that can come back to bite you. I wrote an article on submitting games to publishers. https://sloperama.com/advice/lesson21.html

@Tom Sloper Thanks Tom, definitely it's easier to be upfront with publishers about it, I just hope it works. Thanks for the link will read it.

robertrobert said:
I just hope it works.

The odds are against you. Read that article.

Advertisement