MP3-Beating Compression

Started by
494 comments, last by kieren_j 24 years ago
Looks like kieron_j lost HIS fuckin'' credibility .
Advertisement
Zipster, I agree that he shouldn''t have strung us along like that.

But, just because he couldn''t do it doesn''t mean it''s impossible.

furby: Are ya now?

milo: I agree with Muzza... why would you delete it? There are interesting things in it.

Anyhow. Betcha this goes 20.

Lack

Christianity, Creation, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!
Lack
I meant the aftermath of the thread, not my post.

Lack

Lack
LackOfKnack wrote: << But, just because he couldn''t do it doesn''t mean it''s impossible. >>

Geesus H. Xmas. I suggest you go back and read the document at this link posted by deathlok. Also reread the entire thread while chanting "In mathematics, impossible is possible."

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/compression-faq/part1/section-8.html

LackOfKnack wrote: <>

Cause hoaxes don''t deserve to be left hanging around. Snip, snip. BTW, the only thing of interest in this thread can be summed up as follows:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/compression-faq/part1/section-8.html

LackOfKnack wrote: << Anyhow. Betcha this goes 20. >>

Sorry.

Zipster wrote: << Looks like kieron_j lost HIS fuckin'' credibility. >>

What credibility?

Mike Roberts
aka milo
mlbobs@telocity.com
Ooops! The missing quote from LackOfKnack is:

<< milo: I agree with Muzza... why would you delete it? There are interesting things in it. >>

Mike Roberts
aka milo
mlbobs@telocity.com
This is a rather long post, there was a post that started with someone wanting an artist for a christian game; it turned into an evolution vs. creation argument, and I thought I'd never see anything longer. I was wrong . I'm not sure the guy was claiming to be able to compress completely random data, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody found an excellent compressor, as long as he/she didn't claim to be able to compress completely random data, or compress all files by some guaranteed amount.

Some people claim that nothing is impossible. Sure, as long as you can fit God into the equation. But I seriously doubt he would change the laws of physics/science/mathematics/whatever just to make somebody's program work. If you don't include God, then there are certainly impossibilities. Try to prove:

-that if a < 0, then the square root of a is a real number.

-that a/0 is a real, finite number. If so, give me a.

-that you can represent all combinations of x with x - any_positive_number combinations.

-that a is not equal to a.

Oh, and by the way, "negative energy" (defined as matter with negative mass) can be used to bring matter to light speed, but nobody's come up with a way to create this type of matter, not even theoretically. Even the anti-particles still have positive mass. As far as anybody can tell, matter that "blows" gravitationally has never been observed or created. So much for light-speed jets.

Edited by - CobraA1 on 4/25/00 1:26:59 PM
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away"--Henry David Thoreau
milo: Sorry for what? It could still hit 20.

CobraA1: True statements, except for the random data thing. Because by your definition, a file with all 0''s is random data. There will always be a file that doesn''t work, but would you ever need to compress it?

Oh, and: "that you can represent all combinations of x with x-anything combinations." Sure, what if ''anything'' is 0 or -1? I''ll shut up now.

Lack

Lack
Well, if he only was putting a bit out of every byte, his file sized would be 8 times bigger. well, in his first post, he was compressing down to .5 percent, well, .5 percent * 8 is 4%, That really friken Good, SOO, Does the algorythim itself really work?????????
Esap - sorry to burst your bubble, but not only is it impossible, he already said that it doesn''t work. He was completely lying.

Lack - I can''t believe you still think there is some magic algorithm out there.

Mike
"Unintentional death of one civilian by the US is a tragedy; intentional slaughter of a million by Saddam - a statistic." - Unknown
Um Vetinari,
-------------------------------------------------------
Well actually, I posted that infamous first message because thats what my compressor produced - then I found a little (!) problem in my code that meant instead of reading and writing all the bits of a byte, it was only using the first.
I didn''t really have the guts to say it went wrong like that...
I still feel really bad though.

---------------
kieren_j
------------------------------------------------------

Doesnt look like he meant to lie, and I wanted to know if he changed it to read all the bits instead of 1 out of every 8 would it work, THATS WHAT IM ASKING

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement