MP3-Beating Compression

Started by
494 comments, last by kieren_j 23 years, 11 months ago
oh my god, this was only 5 pages when i last saw it. i''m not even gonna read all the crap in the last 15. has this post just become another forum?

crazy166
some people think i'm crazy, some people know it
Advertisement
GA, I woud like you to show me whatever documentation that you have that positrons have "negative mass"! I have never read any such thing in my life, and would like you to backup your claim. I still believe that people here may be confusing charge with mass because of the "anti-" prefix assigned to some particles.

I''m not sure what LackOfKnack is tying to say. . .

From what I''ve seen in random numbers, almost zero files come out being compressible with an lossless algorithm, and in many instances they get bigger! I think? Maybe I should do more research, generate some random files, and compress them with some of the software on my computer and see what happens.

The point of random numbers is that you can''t predict what will come next, no matter what you try.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away"--Henry David Thoreau
Maybe with their programs, but a most optimal program would only add one bit to uncompressable files. But even with that, 50 -1''s and a range of 50 positive numbers will most certainly average out positive.

Lack

Christianity, Creation, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!
Lack
Oh, and the other thing I was trying to say is that can you really have a purely random file? One where at every byte size, every bit pattern occurs at the same frequency? I don''t exactly know how to say it any other way than how I said it before...

Like can you even have a stream where each of these occurs at the same frequency as the others in its group?

...etc?

Lack

Lack
I think I see what you are saying. I''m not denying that compression can be done. I''m just tring to say that not ALL things can be compressed, and that you can''t guarantee compression to x bytes for every file.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away"--Henry David Thoreau
quote:Original post by CobraA1
GA, I woud like you to show me whatever documentation that you have that positrons have "negative mass"! I have never read any such thing in my life, and would like you to backup your claim. I still believe that people here may be confusing charge with mass because of the "anti-" prefix assigned to some particles.

You''re right if you say that the mass of anti-particles causes the same effects as the mass of normal particles, and I din''t say this correctly. But the masses of particles and their anti-particles get destroyed when they come together - that would not happen with two particles or two anti-particles. So there''s a difference to "normal" mass.

Visit our homepage: www.rarebyte.de.st

GA
Visit our homepage: www.rarebyte.de.stGA
Yes, they get destroyed AND release energy (sometimes with another particle)! That''s where the mass went. The masses of the particles weren''t opposite; they were converted to energy!
I CANT F''ING BELIEVE THIS THREAD IS -STILL- GOING!!!

It''s obviously bullshit!
Claiming 102% compression?! 102%?! That would mean that the compressed file was a negative size!
Compressing 100 megs into 3 bytes?! 3 bytes isnt even enough to hold the number of bytes in 100 megs!

MP3 File Example
MP3 File: 4,961,773
Savings: 4,945,669
CAR File: 16,104
Percent: 0.3%

He said that the MP3 was an actual song.. not blank space.. that right there is impossible to do without losing data. I-M-P-O-S-S-I-B-L-E!!!! As in not possible.. cant be done! Anybody studied information theory??

Then he said he figured it out by playing around in QB and went on to ask where he could get info on:

* Huffman Compression
* LZW Compression
* "Textbook" RLE Compression (I only know PCX''s RLE)

saying, "I know that you use binary trees and nodes and so on but I have no idea for a software implementation!"

Then when he was disproven, he changed his story.. about 3 times! First he said this.. then he said.. ''well I was just exaggerating''

Oh well.. enough on this rant.. and hopefully enough with this thread!
I think the compression discussion is pretty much over by now, we''re just wrapping up a sub-topic of particle physics. Thanks for the flame. Write again AFTER you read all 21 pages.
I agree with Cobra. We already answered that 3 times.

It would still be on compression, but nobody seems to be arguing with me anymore...

Lack

Lack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement