Porting Mirko's Ravers Nature for ATi

Started by
85 comments, last by vincoof 21 years, 1 month ago
what''s the minimum requirement for the demo to run at ful? I''m on a GF4 here and it doesn''t run right. I was using wine though...
Advertisement
Actually, I''d say the minimum requirement is GF3 with Win2000 and the best requirement is GF4 with WinXP. It never crashed for me on Win2000 or WinXP, be it with Radeon or GeForce.
Also, according to what I saw in the code, GeForce and GeForce2 may not display all scenes (too many texture units needed or too many general combiner stages wanted) or may display them but not with all effects.
baldurk : it should work on GF3+. (or on GF+emulation)

vincoof : I've fixed that bug before. The trouble is probably in some invalid vertex array of bad memory allocation. Did you try demo on GF? Did it also crash? It's hard finding bugs that don't occur to me

If anyone has ATi 8500 and MSVC.NET and some free time to test this please respond.

Also one thing I forgot to mention:

this is form NV_point_sprite documentation

ATI Implementation DetailsThis extension is supported on the Radeon 8000 series and laterplatforms.In order to ensure that Radeon 8000 series will acceleratepoint sprite rendering using TCL hardware, make sure that thepoint sprite R mode is set to GL_ZERO.  (This is the default.)Radeon 8000 series can render points as large as 2047.  

I don't see this extension listed in log you posted. wierd.

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.

[edited by - _DarkWIng_ on February 12, 2003 1:53:06 PM]
>> I've fixed that bug before

If you just replaced ColorOpxATI by ColorOpyATI it's not enough. I've also changed some parameters in the function argument themselves.

>> Did you try demo on GF? Did it also crash?

Yes I tried with GF and it does not crash.

>> It's hard finding bugs that don't occur to me

It's hard correcting bugs when I can't compile or debug the program

About the NV_point_sprite extension, I know the 8000 series *should* be able to accelerate it, but actually it is not implemented. I don't know why, but I know I have the latest OpenGL driver.

[edited by - vincoof on February 12, 2003 2:21:41 PM]
it must just be wine.
quote:[...]If anyone has ATi 8500 and MSVC.NET and some free time to test this please respond.[...]

/me raises hand
(Well, I can test it when I get home from school tonight, and I have all of tommorow off)

What, exactly, do I need to do to help?
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
First, download Mirko''s entry at http://nehe.gamedev.net (in Mini-Demo 2003 contest).
Then download the rar or zip file shown a few posts before.
Then uncompress that file in the same directory where the demo executable is, and run that new program. Give feedback : does it start ? does it crash ? does the scene looks black or weird ooloured ? etc...
DarkWIng: just a suggestion. Could you p log the call of display lists that use a shader ? This way if a shader causes the black screen (hang) I would be able to read the text log file and see if a particular shader causes that hang.
As soon as I ran it, it showed for a fraction of a second but then the screen went black and I had to restart my pc (by pushing the button) as it wouldn''t respond.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
vincoof : The thing is I don''t use display lists in this part. Terrain is in video memory (or in system if VAR not supported). It''s drawn using vertex arrays. And even when I do use DL I use them for geometry only. No state changes. I''ve made some changes. I realy hope this works. There are 2 verisons of file. One has shaders disabled all together (will look wierd). And the other uses fixed ATi shader. Just to see what happens. Both are compiled in debug mode with some more debug info. You don''t need to add them to original demo files. I forgot to mention that. Just extract & run.

http:\\www2.arnes.si\~uteran\RaversNature_ATi_2.zip

Extrarius : I''ll add this shader to original source and post it. I''ll also add some debug code to see what could go wrong. I''ll post zip file in few hours I hope.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement