Chicks and Games

Started by
17 comments, last by Buster 23 years, 10 months ago
All this psychobabble about "girl-games" is really starting to piss me off. The bottom line is this: If we design good games, they will play ''em. For instance, last night at work I got a whuppin in StarCraft by, yes, a girl. Why does she play? It''s a "good game". My GF plays CivII, which I would never consider a "chick game" but she plays it day in day out. Why? It''s a "good game". So the next time you wonder why nobody is playing your super-spiffy 64 bit graphics, round surfaces, alpha-shadow blitting, 200 frames/second Quake 9 clone, maybe it''s because your game sucks! Apologies to any women that actually play Quake... no offense intended.
Advertisement
Ummm, yeah!

Who was arguing against this, again?
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
I have seen articles in magazines where they say many women wish that games were geared more twards them. I think many of the new games do that. For instance, in UT you can be a male or female. Girls don''t always want to play the big muscular Rambo character. I know my wife, and a few other women I know, don''t like playing the shoot-everything-that-moves games. They want something fun but not death related.

"If we design good games, they will play ''em."

That''s like saying if you make a good movie, people will watch it. Problem is, you''re making action games, which many women don''t like. (some do, most don''t) Just like with movies.

E:cb woof!
E:cb woof!
My experience:
women tend to go more for building-games like the Settlers, Sim City or stuff like that.
Not that this is a rule, but it seems to me that games where you hafta put stuff in order are more popular with women than shoot em ups. My girlfriend was totally hooked on tetris for a while (but also pharao and stuff).

Good games will sell; to any audience

Ok here i go again! I like playing UT!!! and so do i play Quake! and even soldier of fortune!..but the main problem that makes the really cool and good shot em up games not that fun is that EVERY SINGLE GUY BEATES ME!!! ....
then except for that i love them! also i love play Delta Force! and Swat and rainbow 6 so....what all this chattering that girls dont play those games? ....

(btw my mother loves tetris!... (and i get boored)...)

Jewelaye
Jewelaye
i like the concept of woman and games
i also like the way the beat me 2/i like it ruff ..lol
Hey Rivit!
i also like the way the beat me 2/i like it ruff ..lol
Hmmmmmm.....how old are you?

Jewelaye
Jewelaye
28,but i spell like a five year old lol

If your having problems against Male players in Quake or UT, you can always try the tactic Sharon, my Partner, uses. Real life violence. An unexpected punch from your left really screws up your ability to aim!

I read an article in PC Format about ''Girl Games''. The games were lame. Even the young Girl who they got to review the games thought the where poor. Very bad Barbie tie in''s and hourse riding games that required no skill, imagination or thought.

Personally I think a good plot and interesting characters draws women in more. They put themselves more into the game. Sharon was screaming when playing BladeRunner. The Chinese Guy from came running towards her on the rooftop, she froze in terror then screamed.

And going back to Quake or UT. Practice, or take up snipering

What else do you need; besides a miricle.
Money. Lots of Money. or I''ll never do a sequel!
What else do you need; besides a miricle.Money. Lots of Money. or I''ll never do a sequel!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement