Average age of Game programmers and the speed of technology

Started by
72 comments, last by NeoReality 23 years, 11 months ago
OreoBoy, you are pretty funny. There is nothing stopping those programmers (or you if you become one of them) from going to the gym. Personally, when I get into the game development business, I will make sure I go to the gym every day (or every other day), even if I have to in the middle of the night. I don''t believe in getting grossly obese, or being grossly underweight.

-Andreas
-Andreas
Advertisement
There is an MSDN show!
I''m quite lucky living in England. We missout on seriously corperate sponsored air time. (it''s getting worst though)
What do they do on it. Is it like a Micro$oft sponsored shopping channel. "Buy windows 2000, because even though NT4 will do every thing you required we want more of your money. Buy Windows 2000, buy it because we''ll give you no other choice!"
Obeasity.
OreoBoy, Yes there are a lot of people who live and breath programming to the point of giving up their own bodies. But I know a number of hardcore coders who follow the whole Body is a temple thing and/or get (or attempt to get) laid every week.
There is no reason you can''t have best of both worlds. You can party, drag your self into work on 1/2 hour sleep. Drink a gallon of coffee and get coding on the lastest greatest FPS.
There are boundries though. I''ve been with my partner 4 years, we''re expecting our first kid in 3 months, and we''ve got the mortgage thing! I''m the sole bread winner, so any choices I make I''ve got to work through her.
I know I do not want to be doing database for the rest of my working life, and I know the game industry requires a lot of work, a lot of overtime and late nights. The ballencing act is going to be a tricky job but worth it.
OreoBoy I ask you this, what job would you WANT to be doing?

PS: If you are free and single move forward as quickly as you can, but if the right person comes along drop every thing, you might not see them again!

What else do you need; besides a miricle.
Money. Lots of Money. or I''ll never do a sequel!
I''m 15, and I''m unsure of whether I want in on the industry.
I''m making a game as a hobby and it''s pretty cool. I know it is less than what I am capable of but it''s still a learning experience as it''s the first game I''m going to finish.
I started programming when I was 10 and used good ol'' Qbasic. I finished a few simple games but the more major ones never quite finished, basically because I taught myself, and got myself some bad habits - no comments, no subs, no functions.
I had no books and the only way I could learn was through the help file. It was suprisingly good and that way I learnt heaps. I made my own graphics program because I didn''t know how to load bmps and all my games were without mouse (becuase I couldn''t figure any of that out) and without sound (the little speaker inside the computer is best left silent)
Now I''ve rid myself of all (most) of my bad habits and hopefully things should turn out fine.
Did anyone really want to know my life story

"Only a fool quotes himself"
Andy Owen

My Homepage (Non games related)
My Current Project (Games related... I think)
Trying is the first step towards failure.
I''m 16 and I''ve been programming for roughly 4 years. I started on QBASIC, but now I''m doing a bit of DirectX/Windows stuff in C++. I don''t know if game programming will be my career, I''m just gonna finish school and figure it out when I get there
- DanielMy homepage
It seems to me that everybody here (with a few exceptions) are not game developers but somebody that wants to be game developers. This is a shame.

How do we make more professoinal people join this forum? If there is anybody out there please respond.

Jacob Marner

PS: By professional I mean: "You have a full time job where you get paid and you live of this pay."
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
Didn''t mean to post that Anonymous Poster. But the sig probally gave me away!

People who make money from games arn''t posting to this because;
1. They are to busy trying to compleate their latest project by the deadline. (not that sarcastic)
2. They are above such a feable discussion.
3. They are fictional characters with no bases in reality. And all these games we play are nothing more than a great big shared illusion!
4. All of the above

It seems most people started about the same age. Twelveish, there must be some ''geek'' hormone released at that time? Well, sitting in front of a glowing monitor sucking the electron radiation like its mothers milk, certainly beats playing Football(1) on a cold,wet english afternoon!

Anyway I''m going to sound like an old man now but to those younger coders out there <16, you lucky blighters! All this wonderful and free information at your fingertips!
"When I was a lad we had to work 28 Hours in the coal mine, get up before we went to bed, my father used to kill us and stamp on our graves...." Ops slipped into a little Monty Python!

Anyway I hope this post will soon get my off initiate!

(1) English football. A large round ball kicked with the feet (hence the name foot-ball). Often played in the middle of winter (and I quote my sports teacher) "Because the ground is softer". It has just frozen solid. You can''t get harder than solid! Being a NON contact sport you can often leave the pitch with serious head wounds, lascerations and broken bones.

What else do you need; besides a miricle.Money. Lots of Money. or I''ll never do a sequel!
Im 17 and have been programming for about 8 months
*grin* OreoBoy, you are indeed funny!

However, I think getting laid is highly overrated. What could compare to squeezing another three cycles out of your inner loop.

(only to find you just broke the compiler optimisation and ended up slowing your code down by about 100%)

Reinforcing some stereotypes:
I''m slightly underweight, only 66.6( )kilos for 1m83, which really isn''t enough.
I''m not a mad coder though, I tend to play guitar and record more often than I''m sitting behind my PC.
I do have a paid job, and it''s paid research. I feel I''ve been really lucky in landing this one, even though I''m making much less than MSc''s my age at the moment. In four years time, I''ll have had a lot of fun researching what I love, gained a PhD, and overtake all those guys in one fell swoop! ( *dreams off, thinking of an Aston Martin, huge mansion in the Carribean islands, and swarms of chicks around..* )

Maybe not, but I''m sure as hell enjoying what I do, old or not ;-)

#pragma DWIM // Do What I Mean!
~ Mad Keith ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
quote:Original post by granat
Now I´m 25 and I feel I should have been a Guru at this age. But I´m not....

I feel your pain. That horible feeling of wasted years. It''s nice to hear of others that feel like that. I asked my parents to get me an Atari 512. I though getting a 16 Bit machine would make things easier. I was dumb struck to find there was no in built langauge to program with!

There was an aweful basic program that came with it, but nothing else. I felt like I had taken one step forward and two back. With hindsight I persume there music have been C compilers or the like for the Atari, but they were never mentioned in ST Format.

I think I might dig it out and trawl the net to see what is available!

What else do you need; besides a miricle.Money. Lots of Money. or I''ll never do a sequel!
This post is hilarious.

Did everyone forget that all the greats are almost over 30 already?

Let''s doa run down of all those game devers who are still working, and are over the ripe age I mentioned:

Sid Meyer, Peter Molyaneux, D.W. Bradley, Rob Bartel, Chris Taylor, Tom Hall, etc... etc...

Ok, so you say, yeah, but all these guys have established themselves... true, why, because they made kick ass software that the world loves over and over. So it wouldn''t matter if you were 58 or 8 as long as the software has re-playability or "unique to have never been seen before" written all over it, you are golden.

"Five passengers set sail that day, for a three hour tour, a three hour tour...."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement